Tuesday 26 October 2010

Mass Media Influence - part I

Polish children in front of the TV set
(Part I)

Photo: Aaron Escobar

Cable television has a bad influence on Polish children in school age. According to European Research on Preferences of Televiewers, about 60% of viewers from Europe have more than one TV set at home and according to research for Canal+ on Polish viewers, 73% of teenagers watch television from two to more than four hours a day. Unfortunately, watching television seems to be one of the major activities for Polish teenagers and children. Medium such as cable television has several advantages, for example the possibility to learn more about travelling, animals, history, or to be up-to-date with events from the whole world. But sadly there are more disadvantages of watching television by children.

First of all, there are many channels which show far more violence and sex than they should. There are programmes which present themes like drug or alcohol abuse. The above problems are shown almost in every movie in cable television. Watching such programmes has a bad influence on social and emotional development of Polish teenagers and children and generates aggression in their behaviour. According to Journal of the American Medical Association, in countries where children watch more television, there is more violence in schools. If there is no balance between positive and negative examples of programmes, young viewers may have problems with learning what is right and what is wrong. As states David Grossman, an expert in psychology of killing, in his book “About killing”, there is much evidence when it comes to children’s aggression.
vs.

Worth mentioning is also the fact that today’s Polish children and teenagers prefer watching movies to reading books. Students read less and this causes a lowering of the level of their erudition and grades in school. Children at the school age spend much time in front of the TV set, and this reduces their ability to play individually, because they lack motivation. Important aspect is that young viewers, who watch television habitually, are usually retarded intellectually. They read worse, very often even without understanding the text, and they get worse grades in schools. Many of Polish children at school age have problems with concentration even for a short period of time and short activities.

An equally important disadvantage of watching television by Polish students is its bad influence on family lives. Watching television is very popular form of spending free time not only among children, but also among their parents. TV set is the best way of resting and relaxing after heavy work, or boring lessons. So instead of spending actively time with parents, children turn on the TV set. In place of going and playing football in the garden, an average young Polish viewer watches a football match on the television.
Often young Poles watch the same programmes as their parents, for instance movies for adults, or channels such as Cartoon Network, which often shows very brutal and violent cartoons. Moreover, watching too much television may cause an addiction to this medium, and as a result children lose contact with families and friends.
But some people are saying that the cartoons violence disappeared

Finally, recent research demonstrate that Polish children, who watch television everyday, are more often at risk of obesity. Young Poles addicted to television consume far more unhealthy food, than children at the same age, who do not spend much time in front of the TV set.


To sum up, Polish parents should be careful, because there is a risk that television can be a reason of loosing control over their children. Frequent watching of television can cause an insufficient physical activity and lowering of the intellectual level of children. Parents have to establish rules with their children, for instance how many hours a day young viewers are allowed to watch television or which programmes are appropriate for them.

Questions:
  • Which do You prefer, reading in books or watching in TV?
  • Do cartoons have negative impact on children?
  • Do You still love watching cartoons? What is Your favorite cartoon?

16 comments:

  1. It's a matter of my profession, but I spent most of my time in front of computer, so Internet is my preferred medium. Is reading better than watching TV? I think it depends. There are probably gazzilions of awful books and zillions of great cartoons, programmes and movies. Is there anyone who thinks that educational TV stations like Discovery Channel are bad for kids?

    Cartoons from Cartoon Network were my companions for many years of my childhood and I think that I'm more or less normal person. Basing on this, I'm not sure that cartoons are bad for kids. Maybe a problem lays somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With regard to the question what do I prefer to read books or to watch TV, I need to state that these are two completely different issues. Personally, I think that reading books is a pleasure for people with imagination. I know lots of people who read books before they go to the cinema to watch their screen adaptation. They read the books in order to develop themselves, to train their brains, they create images in their minds and they watch the movies not to criticize them, but to find out how other people (film directors) created the characters in their minds. I need to admit that my imagination is not so highly developed and I do not benefit so much from reading books, but I cannot live without reading magazines and newspapers.
    I am of the opinion that we cannot blame television for all the harm it does to children such as obesity or violence. Of course, if we spend hours in front of TV screens it does not make us fit, but reading a book has exactly the same effect. We do not run while reading, do we? If we consider violence, it was proved that people are influenced by their environment. Of course, mass media affects the way how and what we think. Even if information presented to us in media is not true we believe in it, just because it was stated. In order to avoid this we need to learn how to differentiate between the good and the bad. It also refers to children and cartoons. We cannot claim that only media or cartoons have a negative impact on children, as it can also refer to books. Everything depends on the information that is being passed to the recipient, no matter what the channel of communication is. On one hand, I saw cartoons that seemed to be really cruel to me, but on the other hand, there are lots of cartoons that teach children good manners, that help them to distinguish between good and bad. I think that everything depends on parents, on how they control their children. We cannot blame television for health condition or behavior of children. As it was written in the summary, these are parents who need to decide what their children watch on television and for how long. But turning the TV off will not solve the problem. Children need to get to know the world around them, not only the positive but also the negative aspects of it. I think that children not knowing these both sides of the coin are not able to find themselves in the real life when they grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. s3874, TV stations like Discovery Channel are not bad for kids, but (in my opinion) kids don't watch educational TV stations. :)

    One more question(maybe not in connection with mass media influence, but with cartoons):
    What is the difference between cartoons and anime in Your opinion?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Which do You prefer, reading in books or watching in TV?

    I prefer the internet :)

    But to be honest you can watch inteligent things on tv, read stupid book and otherwise etc... Content is important not the way of delivery

    Do cartoons have negative impact on children?

    I think you greatly overestimate the impact of television on people in general, nobody will rob a bank because he\she saw it on TV, and cartoons are much more abstract then movies.
    Much more important factor are people in our environment and if I were parent I'd rather be worried about this then some abstract characters killing each other on TV :P


    Do You still love watching cartoons? What is Your favorite cartoon?

    I got bored with them when I was 14 years old.

    What is the difference between cartoons and anime in Your opinion?

    Unless you go into details there is none, both are some kind of 'movies for children'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer watching in TV and I`m not ashame of it. Right now I think that cartoons has a little of bad influence on children - when I was a child I had CN but only in English and I can say that mostly I`ve learned language by watching it. Ofcourse I do like cartoons, especially feature ones - "Up" from Pixar is my favorite one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Jarek said a lot of TV programmes can be good for children... The problem is different, parents don't watch on
    children when they sit in front of TV for many hours or spend all the time at the computer. Another problem is when
    parents have some problems with their child, for them the easiest way is to turn on TV (at home, in a car, on some family
    parties) and do this when they want the child to be quiet. It's horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely agree with Michal there are number of stupid movies and some hopeless books as well.. we can choose what is the best for us, what we like the most ..so for me its hard to say what I prefer. It depends.
    And about cartoons.. I think when children have a good relations with their parents and they don't watch TV all day and night..in my opinion it's ok.,as long as they have someone in real life they can count on and talk with.
    I watched cartoons when I was little and I have to say sometimes i still watch some of my favourites:) like winnie the pooh and all disney movies. I think children need cartoons as much as books because it's develop their imagination in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prefer watching TV. Why? Because when I am reading my eyes hurt and I'm so sleepy.

    It depends on cartoon. Sometimes cartoons can educate young spectators but for example on Cartoon Network go some cartoons which are rather for adults.

    The best cartoon for me was Dragon Ball.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I prefer watching TV instead of reading books. For me are simply boring and I spend so much time in front of my notebook that I don't like to read... because my eyes hurt.

    For me the greatest cartoon is Dragon Ball ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Which do You prefer, reading in books or watching in TV?

    Can I abstain from vote;D? I prefer Internet but I know that it's many people which may choose between these two variants. However, when I was younger I prefer waching TV;/I know I know many of you probabl say that it's wrong;/

    Do cartoons have negative impact on children?

    Cartoons negative impact?? NO! I don't agree with this! It's a lot of stupid cartoons but many of them may learn something good.

    Do You still love watching cartoons? What is Your favorite cartoon?

    Unfortunately I don't have time to watch cartons:(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nowadays you don't find many interesting shows on the tele. Hollywood-like lifestyle dominated TV shows and honestly I lost my respect for people working for the popular TV stations. I always liked History channel, for some time now they have had a series of shows describing Earth's tropical places. Highly recommended!

    Done with digression :) After a long and tiring day at work, I prefer watching a good movie. When I'm capable of focusing on getting into the plot of a book - I prefer to read,

    Regarding the cartoons, I think that they have changed a lot. And I think that producers are to blame for it. They were unable to be creative with their ideas and have cut corners with introducing violence, sex, alcohol and drugs references in todays cartoons. It's obvious that kids can't make a difference between 'right' and 'good'.

    I have to say that I love Futurama for it's witty dialogues and plot creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Books were a revelation in the nineteenth century, when we had no better way to communicate and store knowledge and information.

    Personally I not worried that children do not read books. Work of many people today is based on reading on computer, thus we read a lot during the day without being aware of it. Movies, music and 3D transmits more information than text. In the process of human communication the word (verbal part) is the smallest piss of the information.


    Another thing is that when I was growing up school proposed to me very uninteresting and not modern books. If I had read Harry Potter back then I would certainly have greater love for reading fiction back then.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I prefer to watch TV but if I travel by bus to read a book, for faster travel. In my opinion, cartoons have a good flow on the development of children, "Lion King" the story is great and has a profound message that my kids a lot of good amount of it and adults too:) I do not have their favorite cartoon generally liked watching all the cartoons that do nothing: )

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1. Watching television, it is less stressful and we do not require to think too much. There is a high percentage of the amount of meaningless messeage we receive everyday.
    2. It depends on the context of this particular cartoon and the demographic group this cartoon is showing to.
    3. Ye I still like to watch cartoons. More like satires/parodies kind of cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My favourite cartoon is Tom & Jerry :) Yes i like watch it sometimes in Boomerang channel :)

    We are world champions in watching TV, better is only USA and they spend more time from polish people. For me children should spend more time outside and I think better is book reading because it's more development for us - child can think about read text, talk with his parents about and work with imagine. When we watching TV there we not stoping movie to contemplate about this one.

    ReplyDelete