Friday 3 December 2010

Healthy lifestyle – part I

I would like to write about healthy style of living because it is a great problem for people round the globe nowadays. They have less time to spend it on proper eating and cooking, so they decide on having some snacks, fast foods or some sweets. They don’t have time for exercising, let alone walking or relaxing. That is why, fast food restaurants have become so popular. It is easier for people to pop round and buy a hamburger or crisps, which are anything but high in calories and lack in nutrition kind of food. What is more, junk food is high in saturated fat, which is conductive to develop cancer or diabetes, people who eat a lot of junk food are also more likely to have memory and sleeping problems.

“Lab rats helped the researchers reach that conclusion. The experiment was simple and the results striking. Half of the participating rats were fed a normal diet, and the other half was given junk food. The rats had to recognize colorful signs over a clear plastic platform that would serve as “dry land” in a water-filled aquarium. The ones that were fed a high-fat, highly-refined diet took twice as long to find the platform than those fed a conventional rodent diet. They took a long time to learn where the platform signs were, and the learning process was very slow.

In the article, Dr. Aviv explains: “We learned that the high fat diet alone causes learning disorders. Rats that were fed funk food and were intermittently deprived of oxygen showed the worst results. In rats that were fed a high fat diet, the amount of certain brain protein connected to memory declines. This supports the theory that eating fatty, processed food hurts memory.”

What is more, people nowadays not only tend to eat more unhealthy food, but also they exercise less. Lack of exercising increases the risk of heart problems and various liver diseases. But the most serious problem of unhealthy lifestyle is obesity. There are more and more people who are overweight, a great number of them are adolescents and the weight gained at an early age is extremely hard to lose in later years. There are a lot of dramatic stories of young people who are extremely obese.

------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzktJYFkEJ0&NR=1

-----

Doctors say that such cases of extreme obesity around the world are growing. They claim that a balanced diet and regular exercise can bring significant health improvements, from beautiful complexion and hair to the feeling of good health and energy to cope with a nowadays stressful life.

One of the most popular tips about proper diet are mentioned in a food pyramid, which is formally titled the Improved American Food Guide Pyramid. It was published by the FDB in Denmark in 1978 and later adopted by the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) in 1992 to replace the earlier food groups classification system. The food guide pyramid suggested optimal nutrition guidelines for each food category, per day, using a mnemonic graphic of a pyramid with horizontal dividing lines to represent suggested percentages of the daily diet for each food group.

The pyramid shows exactly how often and what should people eat to stay healthy.

The base of the pyramid consists of bread, grain, cereal and pasta, which provide complex carbohydrates. They are a source of energy for a day and one person needs about 6 to 11 servings of this kind of food in a day. It might be a slice of bread or ½ cup of rice. The important thing about this stage is to eat whole-grain products, for example pumpernickel or brown rice – they contain more vitamins, fiber and minerals which are essential for human body and mind.

Next stage consists of fruits and vegetables, which are the best source of vitamins, folate and potassium. Both fruit and vegetables are low in fat and sodium, so it is good to have 3 to 5 servings of this kind a day. It is worth mentioning that an essential source of vitamins are raw leafy vegetables, but it is also good to have some cooked vegetables and fruit or fruit juice – but only 100% ones.

Beans of different kind, eggs, lean poultry and fish is next stage. They are high in iron, zinc and first and foremost proteins which are the most important for human body. It’s good to have 2 to 3 servings of these products, but avoid frying them because they are high in fat, that is why poultry and fish should be lean, without skin and visible fat.

Products full of calcium are on the subsequent level. These are dairy products, like milk, cheese, cottage cheese, yogurts. 2 to 3 servings are suggested, but it is the best to choose non-fat or low in fat products.

Last go fats and sweets. As it is shown on a pyramid, they should constitute the smallest part of our daily diet. They provide a lot of empty calories and no vitamins or proteins. Here are dressings, creams, margarine, soft drinks, cookies, candies etc. The products contain a lot of saturated fats and sugar which are nothing but a source of putting on weight. What is more, it is worth mentioning that we should avoid sweetened yogurts, soups and juices.

Moreover, the pyramid is only the base, and the amount of calories that a particular person needs for a day depends on a variety of factors, like: age, sex, size and also being pregnant or breastfeeding woman let alone being ill.

The National Academy of Sciences recommends the following calorie categories:

1,600 calories - Many sedentary women and some older adults

2,200 calories - Children, teenage girls, active women and many sedentary men.

Women who are pregnant may need around 500 calories more per day and an additional 300 calories for breast-feeding

2,800 calories - Teenage boys, active men and very active women

In general, the pyramid can be very useful, not only when somebody wants to lose weight but also when he or she wants to gain it. In the first case, you have to cut down on fat and sugar and increase physical activity, but you have to remember eating at least the minimum number of servings from the five groups shown in the pyramid. And in the other case, when you want to put on weight, you have to increase the amount of food from all the food groups.

Questions:

1) What should people do to stay healthy?

2) Do you eat in fast food restaurants like Mc Donald’s?

3) Do you agree with the proverb that “You are what you eat”?



12 comments:

  1. In my opinion the only thing people can do to stay healthy is to choose what is the best lifestyle for us. Have a good eating habits is very important as much as to be active, lead an active life!
    I hardly ever eat in such a restaurants as McDonald, KFC and others. Maybe because I can do much more tasty meal at my home and I don't need too many things, products to do something healthy and good.) But still I have to confess that sometimes I order some pizza when I'am too lazy do to something by myself or go shopping.
    I definitely agree with this proverb. When you eat what is good for your constitution than you just feel better you're not so tired and have much more energy, sleep better, have a better mood, We should pay attention to what we eat and when.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, an ideal diet is impossible today without loading yourself with a lot of work and additional time management. People should eat often, but not much and they should eat healthy, not fast foods and so on.
    Some times yes, but very rearly. For example if I go for some kind of trip, we always step in to Mc Donald... it is our tradition ;)
    I agree with that proverb. Your eating habits have a greate influence on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I don't fully agree that it's impossible for a new-fashioned person to prepare a meal for himself. Most of the cases it's only due to bad time management. If everybody has really taken care of eating habits we would have a planet full of top models ;] People tend to blame society, bad upbringing and stressful life for their obesity but the truth is that we make a choice everyday what and how much we eat.

    For me Mc'D isn't bad as long as you keep it to a minimum. Smoking one cigarette won't kill you, the same applies to Mc'D after a long party :) I don't eat at Mc'D, but I don't criticise others for doing so.

    I do agree with your last statement Radek. I think most of peoples' habits are reflected in their eating preferences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is a truism. Everyone know it's better, but only minority take it seriously, its like saying to smokers cigarettes kill.
    What they would answer to that?
    - I know, but I like it

    Of course you are right, but almost now one care.

    I like Mc'D very, very much. Its fat, have no vegetables. Its simply unhealthy but tasty. But I thin last time I was in Mc'D few months ago. Thanks for remaining that I should stop by :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I`m not kind of person who care about what I eat or doing sports. I don`t have any problems with my weight or health so I never cared about it. Ofcourse I eat at McDonald`s, and I love it but I`m trying not to do so often, but sometimes it`s an only option while lunch break at work. I agree that you are what you eat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, I need to say that I believe that it is true that we are what we eat. I can support this with many examples of my friends, who got fat once they moved to Warsaw, where there are fast fod restaurant on each corner. Few years ago, while living with parents who were preparing meals for them they were fitter, they had more ennergy, in short, they just looked better. Unfortunately, I cannot say I have never eaten in McDonalds or KFC. This is the easiest way to cheat your hunger when yo do not have much time to prepare a meal on your own. As it was already said by one of our colleagues, fast food start to be a kind of a habit, I mean the example of trips visiting McDonalds restaurants. Every second time I visit McDonalds, there are plenty of children. Thinking about an advice regarding healthy lifestyle, it is hard for me to recommend anythig as my life style is not healthy at all. I think we can eat whatever we feel like eating, but we shall remember about limits. What is more, physical exercises for sure help a lot. Just think how would the children look if they did not have sport classes at school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't care about what I eat or what I should era. Yes, I know that it's wrong but what can I do now?
    1)I aggree with s8939. We must choose what is the best for us and our lifestyle. I know that some people can do everything to be healthy and slim. Many of them doing a lot of stupid things such as some stupid diet that bring them more harm than good.
    2) For two years I don't eat in fast food restaurants and I'm very proud of it.
    3) yes, I agree with this sentence;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1) People shouldn't eat food which is processed a lot. The more simple it is the better. Also it is essential in my opinion not to eat things which don't exist in nature like margarine, aspartame and mono-sodium glutamate..


    2) Yes, I like KFC but unforgeable it's not healthy as the chicken is fried in deep oil.

    3) In some cases yes, bout not all people who eat junk food look like junk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1) In my opinion to stay health we should eat natural food and live actively. For me there are two important conditions to save our health.

    2) Sometimes I eat in fast foods as KFC. This isn't good for me but in nowadays we haven't always time for cooking.

    3) Yes it's true. If we put water instead fuel to car - it will not go, but we - people - want eat everything and be healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. People in different waystrying to to maintain health . One way is to maintain the form of the body through sport. Natural health food vitamins gives us confidence. Do not use stimulants such as cigarettes and alcohol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. I know at least for a man to stay healthy a man should go to the gym, eat well, and read.
    2. Sometimes, if I do not have any alternatives.
    3. It is kind of true I do agree with the saying. However, I would like to argue from the biological point of view its just a source of energy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1) Move a lot(buy a dog!), drink lots of water, eat various things.

    2) Sometimes, but I never liked them. "Subway" is always my first choice when I don't have enough time to visit a proper restaurant.

    3) Yes, but they are some people - like my older brother - that eat lots of junk food and stay fit and healthy. I wish that I knew his secret...

    ReplyDelete