Thursday 16 December 2010

I had no ambition to make a fortune; mere moneymaking has never been my goal. I had an ambition to build

My presentation is about the richest man ever John Davison Rockefeller. I have entitled my presentation after his words: " I had no ambition to make a fortune; mere moneymaking has never been my goal. I had an ambition to build."
I'll follow a certain plan. At first I'll write about Rockefeller's early life. Then I’m going to describe his Standard Oil Company. Later I'll focus your attention on thing that is the most important - I mean MONEY of course. Fortune is a 3rd point of my presentation.





John Davison Rockefeller was born in Richford on July 8, 1839, second of six children to William Avery Rockefeller and Eliza Davison. His father was a traveling salesman of dubious products, such as "cancer cures." He was also a philanderer and a bigamist. Even as a young boy, John knew how to make money. He would buy candies and later sell them to his brothers and school children for profit. At fifteen, John entered Central High School in Cleveland and joined the Erie Street Baptist Church.


“The 16-year-old Rockefeller found employment as an apprentice bookkeeper at Hewitt & Tuttle, for 5 cents a day. His seriousness, diligence, and honesty led to steadily increasing responsibilities and pay over the next two years. In 1859 he left to form his own produce commission business with a partner, Maurice Clark. Clark & Rockefeller quickly became a successful firm, and its partners accumulated enough capital to invest in other Cleveland businesses. In 1863, they invested in an oil refinery with a chemist Samuel Andrews. In 1870, John Rockefeller, his brother William Rockefeller, Samuel Andrews, Henry Flagler, and a silent partner, Stephen Harkness, formed the Standard Oil Company, with John Rockefeller as president.”


What I have already written is a short history of Rockefeller's early life and formation process of Standard Oil company. Now let's move to the second point and read about his company.



Standard Oil is one of the largest and most well-known organization in history. The corporation has dealt with the extraction of oil.
In 1980 Standard Oil had a 88% market in the United States, it had a monopoly in this industry. The Market share grew very rapidly until it reached 91% in 1911. Standard Oil 55% of its production exported to the whole world.
In 1911, the corporation shattered by the Supreme Court. Standard Oil split into 34 companies. Some of these companies are:
- ExxonMobil

- BP

- Texaco

- ConocoPhillips

- Esso

- South Penn Oil Co., now owned by Shell

- Swan and Finch

- Union Tank Lines

- Waters-Pierce

- Chevron


Below is a map of how businesses operate today, derived from the Standard Oil .


You can also watch this video about Standard Oil.










Right, now we know about Rockefeller's empire. But how much did he earn? Let's check! The point that you were awaiting breathless: FORTUNE


189 000 000 000$

The list of the most wealthy historical figures is based on research done around the world
by Forbes magazine in 2006

#

Name

Wealth in Billion USD

Origin

Current Residence

Company

1.

John Davison Rockefeller

189

United States

United States

Standard Oil Company

2.

Haroldson Lafayette Hunt Jr.

122

United States

United States

Hunt Refining Company

3.

William Henry Gates III

100

United States

United States

Microsoft

5.

Lawrence Joseph Ellison

58

United States

United States

Oracle Corporation

6.

Walton family

48

United States

United States

Wal-Mart



This is too much money for one man. How to spend it? There is a simple answer: by philanthropy. From his very first paycheck, Rockefeller tithed ten percent of his earnings to his church. As his wealth grew, so did his giving, primarily to educational and public health causes, but also for basic science and the arts.




Questions:
1. Do you think you will be a rich man, do you think money makes people happier?

2. How would you spend such money if you were as rich as Rockefeller?

3. Are you generous now and do you think you will be as a rich man?

4. Why do women are more generous than men in Poland?



14 comments:

  1. 1. Hopefully, yes ;) I'd like to become rich to know for myself if money makes people happy. For now, I think it eases some things but that's the only thing that it does.

    2. I'd like to spend all that to make spaceships, but that's just a little kid's dream.

    4. Is this true? Are there any data covering this? I'm really curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) I hope so and money can make people both happy and unhappy it depends on a person.

    2) I'd buy some island and create my own state:)

    3) No, I don't like to spend money :P

    4)It's complex issue, I don't know if this information is true and reliable but it might be caused by traditional roles of genders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought that I will be very rich artist in the future:) but now I am no so sure. It's not so easy to make money especially such a fortune like Rockefeller made. Money can make people happier because of many reasons. If someone we love is sick or we're sick we will have money for medicines and we all know that they're not very cheap, if we want to help some homeless person to start a new life with money there is no problem to do it or if we want to buy something just for us it's usually makes us happier because everybody want from time to time something very badly:)
    If I would have Rockefeller's fortune I would invest in something, I would support financially homeless, orphans anyone who would be in need. Maybe pay for some fine projects for my country like create some museums of science or build new roads:)
    I think I'm generous.. if I have a money:) I don't know if I would be the same person as a millioner, who knows? but I believe I would be the same.
    I really didn't know that women in Poland are more likely to share with their money..But if it's true I don't have any idea why:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Money doesn't make people happier. Maybe for some short time but I think what really matters in live is health and love.

    2. Cars ;) and some residence near the sea

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I would be a rich man. For sure, money is not the essence of life but when you cann afford things you need to live and still theer is some money left on your bank account, your life is much easier. You do n ot have to worry if you would be able to purchase a nice gift for people who are important to you, you do not think if you cann afford to go to a private doctor visit when you are sick. Finally, you have the feeling you can help your friends in case they need your support. I have never been thinkig what I would do if I was as rich as Rockefeller. I think I would not purchase all the things I dream of at one time, as fulfilled dreams are no longer dreams and how to live without having aims in life. I am trying to be generous, i try to help people in need as much as I can. I think we shape our characters for our whole life and it is not possible to change our personality in one day. Taking into account the last question, I am not sure if it is true. I know the same number of men and women who are generous, bu probably women are more sensitive and it i seasier to convince them to help other people. Just think how women react when they see a newborn baby or a small animal...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Money doesn't bring happiness"

    Of course they does! Even if you dont care about them (but Im sure everyone do) the won't make you unhappy for sure.
    Health? How many people are sick or even dies because they cannot afford quick and good treatment?
    Love? Is the only thing that increases when its shared. If you can buy everything you can make other people life easier and happier.

    Being miserable and crying is nicer in Ferrari.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard to answer the question, everthing depends on the person choosen. And that should be the end of this deliberation. Personally, I can't even imagine what I would do if I were a millinaire. Looking at my present attitude to life, I think that part of the money I would give to my family, next part I would spend on such basic necessities like: house and car. Next part would be invested into some shares and stocks. The next to last, I would invested into a company, I would open, I would take a risk, and maybe I would have profits till the end of my life increasing the fortune, but also giving job to people, taking pleasure from the company's successes and preparing some security feature for my next generations. Last fifth part, I would deposit on a bank account in Switzerland having the money in a case if something would happen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. I am sure I will be a rich man :) positive thinking provides a solid platform for success. Money cannot buy happinness. Money can buy things that make you happy.

    2. If I were as rich as Rockefeller I would certainly own a fancy car :) a big house :) and plenty of women :D.

    3. I am as generous as I can be right now - so not so much. If I will be rich I will provide options for poorer (but innovate) young people to start their businesses and become rich.

    4. Maybe because women are more symapthetic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Do you think you will be a rich man, do you think money makes people happier?

    I'd like to retire with the age of 30. If I can't make it, I'll consider it a failure... ;) Honestly, you meet as many unhappy rich people as poor.

    2. How would you spend such money if you were as rich as Rockefeller?

    I wouldn't like to be Rockefeller - he's way too famous!

    I think it's hard to be generous these days. People are mean on a daily basis, they are self-centred egomaniacs. I am generous but only to people who treat me with respect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. Money doesn't makes people happy, shopping is. I think I'll try to do the best that I can to earn some money.

    2. A lot at first, later I probably got bored.

    3. I'm generous for the closes people.

    4. I didn't know that. If it is true probably it has to do something to with that thy are mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Money makes the world but it helps to be happy. Often, the money people lose family friends. Being generous depends on which areas when it comes to people suffering like this. But giving the poor do not save them as a better show in May to make and give them work. Rockefeller was a great man and he showed how much can be achieved. I heard that in his book wrote that he wanted to know if you have friends because they liked him or because he was rich?

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1) I think if we have no money we can't be happy, but if we have too many money - we can be unhappy too. It may be dangerous for us and our family. It's hard to answer if I'm rich I will be happy. I'm sure that if we can buy what we want - it make us happier.

    2) I would create schools for young football players :)

    3) I'm not generous because I will save the money for own future family :)

    4) Oh, really? I don't heard about earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. I do believe people's life do get better. Whether it is gonna make me happier or not doesnt depend on money.
    2. I will invest to renewable energy related business.
    3. Yes I think so.
    4. I dont really think about that there should be a difference in generousity between men and women.

    ReplyDelete