Thursday 13 January 2011

COMMERCIALS

part 2


Hi again:)

In next part of my presentation I want to show you some funny commercials from different countries. Maybe not all of them are amusing for you or won’t be if you don’t know them yet, but we can compare what makes people laugh from all over the world.

There is a series of funny but also a little dark ads of Panda cheese. I don’t know exactly what country these commercials come from but it was made for an “Arabic diary” so I guess we would have a chance to see it in the middle East:). Although we still have the internet.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkB3Pa20R54&feature=related

What makes some ads funny?

Maybe when we see something we didn’t expect to see or hear. Like in the commercial of Empik language school.




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFoiCdQrMc0


It can be funny for us because we live in this country. And we know how hard for foreigners it is to communicate with clerks at Central Railway Station in Warsaw for example. But would it be so amusing for Asian people? I’m sure many of us noticed how different from Europeans or Americans are Japanese, Chinese ads. These few which I saw I didn’t find funny at all. But it’s all about variety of cultures I think.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceUfcozJu8A


The most controversial ads are these which are immoral in some way or which seem to be immoral for some people. When commercials touch upon very delicate subjects like contraception, euthanasia and others it provoke fights. This is one of the examples of such an ad:




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fitxofd7kOA


The biggest problem of advertising agency is to find the best way to win over a client. Sometimes a funny commercial can convince us to buy products much more than regular ads, they’re more effective. But not always..I read recently some article about radio commercial in U.S. It was about a monkey which was trying to feed the baby and no matter how hard it tried the baby wouldn’t eat. And as far as I remember the author of this article really liked the ad, it made him laugh but he couldn’t remember what the commercial was for. So this is the most funny part of the story. It became for him

“prime example of ineffective advertising”. Unfortunately I don’t know where I could find this ad, it’s rather impossible.. because then we could discuss it. Anyway messages should be clear enough for a consumer, because it’s the most important aim of advertising I guess: to make people go and buy product which is being advertised.

And one more for a desert:)



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNrHHYHdtaE


What makes commercials effective?

Do you have your favourite ad?


12 comments:

  1. I think that no one likes to watch commercials because they are simply annoying and disturbing.
    Effective commercial should be short without silly acting and dialogues. Simple, short and it helps a lot when its funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Effectiveness of commercials is something that scares me more and more. There are thousands methods of selling something better than something else. The most astonishing thing I've ever seen about that is a program in which a Derren Brown shows how people may be affected by sumliminal messages. It's not that we can be totally manipulated, but there's some things that can be controlled. I really recommend seeing this short movie from start to end.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyQjr1YL0zg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun element or element of watchers own experience makes commercials effective. I liked Mentos commercial - the one with nipple scratching :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well commercials can be funny but even best commercial woulnd't make me buy product if I don't need it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Effectiveness of commercials is in the fact that
    they come to people, they (the people) can see themselves in situations which are presented in advertisements. For me effective advertising is the one that captures me and surprises me. I don't have any favourite ads, but I like these , that amuse me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This kind of commercials of course I watch only on youtube but in fact I like them.
    They are funny, amusing and without thinking about product which they advertise but only presenting a funny story for example when panda capsizes shopping cart. It was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAHA, "use condoms" is my favourite! :D

    I don't have a favourite commercial, but like I said earlier, I like creative commercial that are not straightforward and sometimes require a though or two in order to understand. You don't see them too often on TV though.

    I think that commercials are the most effective if they are able to mix some label specific lingo in everyday life of consumers. Just like 'heyah' was teens way of saying hi in Poland.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that commercials need to be catchy for all age group; therefore, it is a hard task to prepare ads. Some people claim some commercials just annoy them, but still they catch their atention and the goal of their creators is met. Even though a given person is angry with the ad, he/she becomes aware that a given product exists. To be honest I am not a fan of commercials and I do not have my favorite one. I just like the ones that are rather funny than offensive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. In order to have an effective commercial first you have to be able to deliver the most important messeage withing 5 sentences with at least three key words/ interesting points.
    2.My favourite ad is one of the Heineken's commerical. In this commercial the messeage is simple. You have a scene with few ladies got excited after seeing the clothes their friend(her) has. Meanwhile, downstairs you have guys cheering for a room full of Heineken beer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think there is no model for ideal advertisment and if something is effective and funny today, it may be stupid and boring tommorow. We can see it in polish tv with Plus GSM advertisments. When they shown first time some kind of commercial it was funny for many people. Till today they trying show this same kind with new advertisments but now they are boring for me and my friends. I think it's hard to say what type of advertisment is the most effective.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. Every commercial should have something memorable - it isn't important if it would be some original slogan, funny joke, catchy music, something shocking or just nice artwork.

    2.This is my favourite commercial:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XmUxf35AVk&feature=related

    I remember that everytime it was played in tv I used to watch it with the same pleasure. It's just a pretty image with a nice song but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete