Saturday 22 January 2011

George Hotz aka geohot – the best hacker in the world? Part 3

After releasing Apple iPhone „jailbreak” (system files access), Apple stated that this process is illegal. under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) which is a law from 1996 in the US. After a lot of court cases between Apple and jailbreakers in 2010 July 26th, the United States government announced by adding new entry to DMCA, that jailbreaking and unlocking iPhones) is completely legal as long as they are not violating copyright law. Jailbreaking and unlocking of iPhones has never been illegal, it was just that Apple had strict policies right from the start which prohibited users from installing apps on their device which were not approved by Apple, along with locking the phone so that it can be used on one carrier only. You can read the whole statement here

http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2010/Librarian-of-Congress-1201-Statement.html

Now let’s get back to PS3 jailbreak. After “geohot” released root keys to PS3 system, and released his jailbreak which allowed to run unsigned code, Sony sued George Hotz (geohot), Hector Cantero, Sven Peter (fail0verflow) for bypassing effective technology protection measures employed by Sony. Geohot has removed the root keys and other software helpful in PS3 jailbreak from his website until the decision is made in favour of him and other hackers with hope that courts will use the same logic that Library of Congress Copyright Office used when ruling that iPhone jailbreaking was legal. Sony requested in lawsuit that all tools helpful for jailbreak must be deleted from all over the Internet, which is as we know impossible. A lot of people mirrored geohot website with statement “Sony sue me too”. Below is the latest interview with “geohot” about Sony lawsuit.



1. Do you think that if you bought some device you could do with it whatever you liked to?
2. Do you think that homebrew applications improve the usability of devices?

7 comments:

  1. 1) Depends on agreement between you and producer\distributor.
    2) Some do, some don't, I depends on an app.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a moment, I can do what I want. I can put it where I want to, move and even throw into the trash ;P
    I’m just kidding;) I know what you mean giving this question. Of course that I want to do everything I want and certainly install what I want - especially programs that I write by myself. I am buying a device - not any stupid restrictions.
    Of course I think so, many times my applications were much better and more efficient than those supplied by the manufacturer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) Of course you can. But you should make sure that no one will know. Company like Sony cares more about themselves than customers good. You can buy cheaper device with huge facilities that are limited by a software. If you're able to change it, its good for you but Sony wouldnt like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure, I think you should have the right to mess with your device as much as you like. Although it's obvious that you lose warranty ;)

    I'm a big fan of HTC devices myself. I love messing around with different kinds of ROMs and software having direct impact on hardware control. Even though you lose warranty for your device, you are able to make it much more efficient and therefore more valuable :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1.yes
    2. yes

    What's more I think locking the devices should be prohibited.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. According to privacy, yes I am entiled to who whatever I want with my personal belongings but then we have the issue of social responsibility.

    2. Homebrew applications may be innovative and they could be elaborated further when it is exposed to users that find them useful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have jailbreaked iPhone and for me it's now very useful because i can install applications which are unavailable with original software of this phone. I think device hacking is good when we are limited by manufacturers to full use of device, for example when Apple allows install applications only from Apple Store.

    ReplyDelete