Monday 3 January 2011

Low-cost carriers: Ready for battle!

Low-cost carriers, also known as a no-frills, discount or budget carriers are airlines that generally have lower fares and less comforts than regular carriers. I will try to make it more clear how such airlines cut costs, as well as what's behind the success (and sometimes failure) of budget airlines.

Aviation and air travel has had a huge impact on society as well as development of industry and business partnerships. Without air travel most of us would have never stand a chance to visit places very different from our own. When air travel debuted in the early 20th century, it was both rare and expensive. Air travel as we knew it back then was restricted to rich and successful. “Since 1938, the Federal government had strictly regulated airline fares and routes. The government kept fares high to please airline investors and airline-employee unions. This policy kept airline costs high and priced air travel out of the reach of most Americans.” - http://www.centennialofflight.gov After WW II improved engine and plane designs made long distance flights available to even more passengers. Till late 1970s many carriers treated air travel as luxury and kept delivering luxury service on their planes. Free meals and drinks, personal attention from flight assistants as well as spacious and comfortable made the ticket prices high.

Probably the first such airline was Sir Freddy Laker's ‘Skytrain’ of the ‘70s. In the US, Southwest Airlines revolutionized American air transport by running fleets with one type of aircraft, the Boeing 737, to save on maintenance costs, and eliminating the 'frills' of air travel. In Europe, Ryanair pioneered the concept.” – Wikipedia.org

Nowadays there ar
e over 60 budget airlines in Europe and this number is rapidly changing. Most of them sell their tickets exclusively over their website. The tickets are not available via travel agents. The pricing structure of no-frills carriers is complex. Fares change accordingly to demand, often on hourly basis. There are no rules for obtaining cheapest fares. Although you have probably heard from your friends that they managed to buy return tickets for 20 PLN. In the next article I will describe in more details budget airlines maths. Until then enjoy watching a British film about post war commercial air travel in the UK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyCTpZvjW1U

If you are a Monthy Python fan, make sure to watch this movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEIB4baOSd8

Discussion topics

- Have you ever used a low budget airline? Where you satisfied with the service it provided?
- Do you think it is safe to travel using low-cost carriers? Are they reliable enough?

15 comments:

  1. To be honset I have never used the low-budget ariline; however, my friends were flying with low-cost lines. I can share their experiencewith you. Thirst of all, they were satisfied a all of them reached their destination. These were not long travels, so they were not complaining baout conditions or lack of food as they were prepared to the flight with low-budget airlines. majority of them claimed that they preferred to spent the money they saved on other things. My friends claimed that people working for the low-budget airlines airlines are kind and nice as those working for the regular ones. The thing they realized is that their clothes are a bit different. Their suits are not so elegant. Concering the safety, you never know if the full-budget airlines can guarantee you a save trip. I think that cost of the ticket does not affect safety o the flight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used a few times a low budget airline. And that was ok, but I wasn't ecstatic happy because of it. Although we arrived at our destination safely. But if I can complain a little bit the seats were to close to each other so it was not very comfortable journey and there were no free drinks or snacks. It lasted at the most two hours so it was not so long. For longest travels I would recommend people to choose better airlines even if they're more expensive. Besides if we'll make a reservation much more earlier then we have a chance to get cheaper tickets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used low-budget airline many times. And I think that is not worth spending a lot of more money on "high-quallity" airlines. They don't different so much with low-budget ones. For sure you have less space in airplane, often you don't get any food and you have to wait longer on airport. I will give you example how I saved money. I bought both sides ticket to Mallorca in Easy Jet and is spend only 330PLN when for example LOT has tickets for something about 1200PL. It is a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often fly with Wizzair. I`m very satisfied with their service - for example I was in Milan with them for 160PLN both way. Thanks to that you can visit some Europe cities for price you would spent to visit Polish cities. Why they wouldn`t be safe? They have the same planes as regular airlines so I see no differences. Some time ago I heard that Ryan Air is planning to do flights with standing places on plane - that is a great idea if they would proof it is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing that for below 200zlotys you can travel by plane. If all the safety standards are met, I don't see a problem with using cheaper flights. Of course, it's not that simple. Not comfortable conditions during 2-hour flight may be a something to live with, but when the flight takes 12 hours, it could turn into nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, i can add something interesting to your presentation. Last week I read about Low-cost carrier from India named IndiGo. As we know the IndiGo is the biggest low-cost carrier from India. And they make order for about 180 planes Airbus A320. In this 150 models with fuel efficient engines.
    This is the biggest order for so big jets in historii of commercial aviation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I neved used low-cost carrier however I think that most of them is as safe as casual airlines because savigns are not made on security.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never used low budget airlines and I don't know nobody who flyies with low cost
    lines. Is it safe? I really don't know but if
    they use same aircrafts as normal airlines
    and have the controls - They may be safe. My cousin was a pilot in this type of
    airlines and he told me that the only difference between this line and commercial line was a price. I don't support idea of standing places on plane - it can be dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you have never used low budget airlines so what do you use? If you travel short distance its a cheaper way. I wasn't happy because its not comfortable and I could even say 'tiring' but you can save a lot of money traveling without fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I travel a lot and often I use low cost airlines. I didn't notice a big difference between them and regular except the on board so could meal. Some times you have to pay for extra luggage. but still it's better to pay 100 EUR for the flight than 300 EUR.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe this is ridiculous but still flew by plane:) But my friends were flying and appreciate the low cost airlines. I think it is a cheap means of transport and a good alternative for local flights or short distance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. I do feel its alright but only on short flights. The same principle can not be apply to distant flights. The fee for transporation was low-cost but at a satisfactory level.
    2. It is quite safe to fly with airplanes now and they are highly reliable under normal weather conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never used the low-budget airlines but my brother yes and he said me that he hadn't place to sleep in hotel when flight was cancelled because there was a fog in the air. He had to cope alone all night.

    Regarding safety in my opinion it's enough because I don't hear that low-budget airlines falling-down often than others.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never used a low budget airline,but my frinds yes,As I know from them that it is quit good services for not big money.Normally many people would never use airline to transport and low budget airline give them this kind of possibilities .

    I think that low cost carriers cant propose such confortable like expensivee airlines .In my opinion there can be some disadvantage of trip that kind of airlines, You cant be sure that plane will be on time....In spite of this I think that if I have to choice betwwen car and low budget airline I would choice the second option.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate to fly.
    I had so many unpleasant situation with planes flying to England in particular that you'd love to forgive, but unfortunately my job I will not allow it ...

    My longest journey, not low-fare lasted 30 h. Due to the fact that, as every year, winter is surprising not only the Polish road workers, airports in England at the time was a nightmare!

    5 cm of snow is a national disaster, and at 10 cm close the school ...

    I was able to fly again by Milan to Warsaw, and taking into account that I flew from Jersey it was my second stop, not including forcible hotel accommodation.

    Now, I fly low-fare, and although, sometimes you have to spend 4 hours in the airport waiting for the next flight, at least not cost as much as a normal line ....

    ReplyDelete