Thursday 16 June 2011

Car safety - Inteligent Cars


Interested in a presentation on electric cars browsing the Internet I found the Intelligent Car Initiative of the European Commission.The initiative aims to improve the safety of road users by using "intelligent cars" equipped with advanced technologies."
Intelligent cars is nothing but a car packed with electronics that help drivers do not kill on the road. And to avoid accidents with other participants of traffic.
Below the list of systems that make up the intelligent car:

Anti-Lock Braking System - Abs prevent what happens when that occurs after you lock the wheels, such as the abolition of the car on the side, spinning the car, losing control of car driving. Braking distance of a vehicle equipped with ABS as compared to an identical vehicle without the system depends on several factors, such as external conditions and driving skills.




Electronic Brake Assist - researchers found that in the first phase of the emergency braking of the driver pushing the brake pedal with too little force so do not take full advantage of the brakes. Electronic Brake Assist detects emergency braking on the ways in which the press (correctly) the brake pedal and the same increase braking power




Active cruise control - sometimes called the adaptive speed control. This system adjusts the speed of your vehicle to the car in front of you. With the help of the radar system detects vehicles on the front and without the driver stops to avoid a collision. When you head off danger will accelerate the car itself.




Active headlights - often referred to as adaptive headlamps. Their action is directing a beam of light from the headlight to the left, right, up and down depending on the steering wheel. This technology brightens the corners and prevents glare of vehicles from the opposite side when accelerating. During hard braking does not reduce the range of lights.





Assistant lane change - sometimes called the blind spot detector.When you just want to change lanes and never see another car that is at a standstill, this system will vibrate the steering wheel and nicely displays a warning in the mirror.




Electronic stability program/control - in short, ESP, ESC, etc.. The system detects understeer and oversteer, taking into account the signal from the steering wheel, each wheel speed sensors and sensor car market on its axis. With the help of wheel abs brakes in such way as to save the driver from oppression. In 2005 Electronic Stability Control has been installed in 40% of new cars.




The gear shift indicator - also known as shiftlight. It is a light or lights that inform the driver of a car with manual transmission, the need for a reduction or change to a higher gear. This affects the performance of the car and the burning, because most drivers change gear at the wrong time.






eCall - There is a system of actively affecting driving safety, and the situation after the accident. eCall is an automatic notification of the accident. When the event will run airbags, this system will automatically notify the dispatcher of the collision, including sending GPS coordinates for their location, information about the car, etc.. The system can also be run manually. Mandatory installation of the system in new cars was planned for 2010. But the plan has not been met. I believe that this many people save their lives.




Would you like to move a car equipped with these systems?
If so, which one?
Do you think that this will increase safety on the road?


Source:
http://www.bosch-esperience.com/
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABS_(motoryzacja)
http://moto.money.pl/wiadomosci/publikacje/artykul/systemy;bezpieczenstwa;w;samochodach;czyli;co;znacza;te;literki,195,0,435139.html
http://www.volvocars.com/intl/top/about/values/pages/safety.aspx

12 comments:

  1. Nowadays, many cars are equipped with ABS or other electronics. All of the systems described by you seem very practical and yes, of course I would like to have them in my car.

    I'm sure that these kind of improvements make driving safer. Nothing can replace skills or good roads, but sometimes they are not enough.

    I dream about a car which can park itself. I know there are already cars like that. It would be very comfortable when you need to fit in a narrow space. Here you can see one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNZXwMb7Xws. It doesn't look so fancy, but I couldn't find anything better at this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion that would definitely increase safety not only on the roads but also inside the car. Even pedestrian safety.

    As far as I heard ABS and Air bags (being specific - two) are common, called standard and every new car should have them equipped - according to EU restrictions and regulation.

    Do I want to have them on board? I do not really want. Part of me would said sure, with pleasure. On the other hand if you have a car fully equipped by electronic stuff - you have computer watching you driving, taking care about the distance, speed, road lines traffic jams and light... driver is becoming useless. Just like travelling with a 'chauffeur'. In afraid that developing more AI systems and putting them inside the car we are simply losing a pleasure...called driving pleasure.

    Mostly it depends on people. Some of us doesn't pay an attention to cars. They are here to translocate us from one place to another. But the other loves them. And that group would never invest in such extra equipment. I'm afraid also that increasing car's electrical gadgets we're putting aside good skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that all kinds of technological novelties have positive impact on road safety.

    I'm not a big fan of cars and I don't think I ever will (even though I adore old, 1970s American cars, which have nothing to do with novelties - as they should). However, I think active headlights would be a great solution for motorcycles, not only enhancing the driver's field of view, but letting other road users see him better as well (motorcyclists often have problem with staying visible on the road)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that we can not rely only on electronics. It also can fail. Ofcourse it is good that such things exists, but I think that equally important are some courses of safe driving, controlled skid etc. when you can practice on your skin a lot of events that may happend during driving a car and not be so surprised when one of them happen.
    The most important is to teach people what to do, how to behave etc. in not everyday situations. Combining this, and the electronics we will be much more safer.
    Ofcourse the most important thing is that people should use their brains during driving (not everyone does it)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ofcourse I would like to own a car like that, with no doubt it would be a Audi - in my opinion the best car maker.

    As far as I know some Citroen cars have a line cross warning. The seat starts to vibrate when you cross a line to inform you about your actions. When this feature was announced Top Gear presenters were making fun out of it by saying that from now on all women drivers will e driving on the lines only to have a vibrating seat :-) jokes aside I think that most electronic devices help us in potencially dangerous situations therefore can save our lives. Nevertheless we shouldn't rely fully on such systems, it's only electronics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an old car without all those systems (I don't even have ABS) and my opinion is that the most important are driver skills. If you are able to predict a road situation and you don't drivae like a roadhog it's enough enough to be safe.

    Of course every system has many advantages. I agree that it could increase safety on the road but you can't 100% relay on it.

    For me the most usefull is a Assistant lane change. I would like to have it in my car. On the other side The gear shift indicator is the most stupid system mentioned in this presentation :-)

    If I changed a car "safety systems" would not be so important. I relay on my skills - even if there are not so high :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Marcin. I also think that the most important are driver skills. Perhaps beliving so hard in safety of our car due to technology is not enough. Moreover it can put to sleep our watchfulness.

    I don't have a driving licence yet and I have to admit that I know almost nothing about cars:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would you like to move a car equipped with these systems?

    Nope. I think that all those "systems" aren't mature enough to use them in real life situations. As always - everything looks perfect in the hermetic environment and presentation but I'm sure that engineers didn't think about everything. :)

    If so, which one?

    As above - I would like to wait for this systems to be standards and wait a year or two that all of this will be tested.

    Do you think that this will increase safety on the road?

    It will but as above: I would rather wait for it (the technology) to mature.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course!! I would gladly to have such a car;) Most of these systems is now a standard in cars. But they don't replace the driver skills. The basis of safety is a driver. Good drivers mastered cars better than bad driver in car with all these systems.
    As I wrote all these safety systems without driving skills are nothing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm I do not know, taking into account the number of "intelligent systems" in the car, never quite sure whether you are in a critical situation, it will work.
    And besides, even though you you will have a super safe and totally smart car, you can die by the person who will lead drunk or just faint behind the wheel unless it is all added this gadget.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, if something increased a driving safety is OK
    The problem is that many systems have bugs and increases the breakdown ..
    Vehicles with a lot of electronics after several years of use are more unreliable than those without systems. The second thing is convenience, in my opinion, the driver can not rely only on the electronics ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like it. In my opinion all this systems are interesting and I would have them in my car :) It's bring a lot of comfort and safety for our lives. We need to know that this equipment it is only computers and electronics and can't trust them. Drivers should be focused on their own skills.

    ReplyDelete