Thursday 9 June 2011

First aid. Part II

In the second part of my presentation I would show you how you should give first aid. By performing simple procedures and following certain guidelines, it may be possible to save someone’s life by giving basic treatment until professional medical help arrives. First aid is a comprehensive knowledge and I hope you know I can’t present it all but only most important things.
In an emergency you have no time to read or watch this instructions but if you have memorized basic procedures, it allows you to react quickly and efficiently.

BASIC LIFE SUPPORT FOR ADULTS

The task of the person providing first aid is to keep the victim alive and not to permit the creation of further complications until the arrival of professional medical care.
  1. Make sure the victim and witnesses are safe.
  2. Check the victim's reaction. Gently shake his shoulders and ask loudly: "Are you all right?"
  3. a) If there is the response:
    • leave the victim in his position if it’s safe and try to get information about him and call for help if needed.
    b) If there is no response:
    • shout for help.
    • turn the victim onto his back and clear airway, using the head tilt and chin lift
  4. Keeping clear airway, try to find a breath:
    • The chest should work.
    • Listen to breath around the mouth.
    • Try to sense the air movement on your cheek.
    Rate if the breath is normal. If you have any doubt, act as if it was invalid.
  5. a) If breathing is correct:
    • Place the victim in the safe position
    • send someone or yourself to go for help (call an ambulance)
    b) If breathing is not correct:
    • send someone to call help, and if you're alone, leave the victim and call an ambulance, go back and start chest compressions, as described below:
      Kneel beside the victim,
    • Place the heel of your hand in the middle of the chest above the breasts. The heel of your hand should now be positioned on the middle of the lower half of the breastbone (not over the ribs or stomach).
    • Now place the heel of your other hand on top of the first. Keep your fingers off the chest, by locking them together. Your pressure should be applied through the heels of the hands only.
    • Keep your elbows straight, and bring your body weight over your hands to make it easier to press down.
    • Press down firmly and quickly to achieve a downwards movement of 4 to 5cm, then relax and repeat the compression.
    • Do this at a rate of about 100 times a minute (which is fast and hard work – you can help your timing and counting by saying out loud “one and two and three and four” etc)
    • Do this 30 times.
    • Now open the airway by positioning the head with the chin pointing upward.
    • Pinch the nostrils shut with two fingers to prevent leakage of air.
    • Take a normal breath, and seal your own mouth over the person's mouth, making sure there's a good seal.
    • Breathe slowly into the person's mouth – it should take about two seconds to adequately inflate the chest.
    • Do this twice.
    • Check to see if the chest rises as you breathe into the patient's mouth.
    • If it does, enough air is being blown in.
    • If there's resistance, try to hold the head back further and lift the chin again.
    • Continue with 30 chest compression, then two rescue breaths – and only stop if the victim starts to breath.
    Do not stop for any other reason, until someone else can take you over . This should happen every couple of minutes, without any interruption to compressions. If there are two rescuers: one can do breaths and the other compressions.


http://www.republika.pl/ssr/galeria/pomoc

CPR Training Video


Questions:
  • Have you ever performed first aid ?
  • Where did you learn the rules of first aid?
  • Do you know the story where first aid wasn’t performed?

13 comments:

  1. I've never performed a first aid. Actually I did it at school where I learned the first aid (as I said in first part). I don't know any story or situation where the first aid was needed and wasn't performed. I don't want to be in that kind of situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know the history of first ad, I hope you will write about it in the next part of your presentation :) I had lessons about first aid in secondary school as probably most of people, but unfortunately I didn't have any training. I heard that many kids at school could practice it with a dummy and I'm sure it can be very useful. As I wrote earlier, I have never possibility to perform first aid.

    I like the movie in your presentation, it can be a good instruction. We should have films like that in school, it could help with understanding the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fortunately, I didn't have to perform the first aid in real life.
    I used to attend to the first aid course (it was obligatory in my work that few people from each department had to take part in this kind of course). One of the basic rules that I remember from it are the magic numbers 2/30. The second rule is to not start to perform breathing "mouth to mouth" without a special mouthpiece, especially if you don't know the victim.

    In my opinion all people ought to know the basic rules of first aid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frankly speaking I have never had a proper first aid course even in high school. I really would like to make such an important training but I have problem with my spare time. I know that it is not an excuse but I just cannot afford it. Nowadays I am planning to make my driving licence and it could be also a great occasion to have some lessons of first aid.

    I hope that I will never be in that kind of situation and I will not have to save someone's life. I really hope so because in stressful situations I am just petrified and I lose my head.

    I also don't know the history of first aid:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never performed first aid and also I've never been in this kind of situation. I regret but I never participated in such a course as well. So I don't know much about the rules of first aid but I intend to learn them. I realize how important it is.

    Still I am wondering.. even if I would finished the course of first aid, and even if I would be the best student there.. whether I would do the right thing in real situation. I'm afraid I could panicked. But I will never know how would I react until I find myslef in such situation.

    about history of first aid, sorry, as others I don't know it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once in high school, long time ago .. we have learned the principles of first aid ...

    First aid is not indicated when it is dangerous (for example, is burning in the area), or when the life of "salvager" is under threat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also had some short course of first aid in highschool but it was long time ago. But my girlfriend studies medicine and she teached me how to do it properly. So far I didn't have to perform it - I do not know if in the situation of stress, wounded people etc. I would do it correctly or I would remember everything step by step. It is something else to learn in and something else to perfom in real situation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had experience with first aid, but till now I haven’t had opportunity to use it. According to my theoretical knowledge, sometimes it’s the only way to save human life. I got my first experience in first aid during courses at my university. Following the basing leads except knowledge, we have to keep calm and think reasonable- it’s natural behave – you know how to act. Human life is priceless, isn’t it? Do everything to help another person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I wrote in the previous presentation I have.
    I lern first aid in school and during courses on sailor and diver.
    No I don't know this story

    ReplyDelete
  10. As I said before, no. Fortunately I haven't been forced to use my FA skills ever. And I wish that would never happen.
    I've been practicing only on 'Ania II' the most common training phantom.

    Luckily, we are not quite alone. When something bad happened and we have to help somebody immediately, we can automate the process. As you already know, today we can use AED - Automated External Defibrillator. Kind of device helping us to arrange and perform all BLS actions. So we don't have to remember exact how many breathes/how many chest pressures...just turn device on.

    Yes I know few stories. Basically first aid hadn't been performed due to body fragmentation. Rescuers weren't able to find the head... and that's the point of BLS.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I learned first aid course in high school. Luckily I had not yet boast of their abilities:)))

    But they are very useful in extreme situations:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I learned it a couple of times in school or at courses but you forget things if you don't practice. Though never done it myself I think there might be a time it's useful. It takes courage to do it, even more when there are people around... people should be trained to do it every year or two.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I had the opportunity to provide first aid many times. I was a student at the Medical University for several years. I had a lot of classes which helped me to learn good habits during first aid. I believe that each of us should know at least the basic elements of this "art". It is nice to know that our help had saved someone's life. It's worse, when we know that someone had died just because we didn't know what to do while waiting for an ambulance arrival.
    I do not know a case where first aid wasn’t performed. Always in such a situation, I rolled up my sleeves and did what I could to save the man.

    ReplyDelete