Sunday 19 June 2011

Car Safety - NCAP 1/2

In the second part I will present what it is NCAP. Probably most of you have heard about it. Develop names are: the European New Car Assessment Programme.

Euro NCAP organizes and provides consumers with crash-test with a realistic andindependent assessment of the safety performance of some of the most popular cars sold in Europe. Founded in 1997, Euro NCAP consists of seven European governments, as well as motoring and consumer organizations in every European country. Euro NCAP has rapidly become a catalyst for encouraging significant safetyimprovements a new project car.




Tests that cars pass can be classified into:

Frontal Impact
Frontal impact test is based on that developed by European Enhanced Vehicle-safety Committee as basis for legislation, but impact speed has been increased by 8 km/h.
Frontal impact takes place at 64kph (40mph), car strikes deformable barrier that is offset. Readings taken from dummies are used to assess protection given to adult front occupants.


Each car tested is subjected to an offset impact into an immovable block fitted with a deformable aluminium honeycomb face. This impact is intended to represent the most frequent type of road crash, resulting in serious or fatal injury. The barrier face is deformable to represent the deformable nature of the cars. This test is a severe test of the car’s ability to survive the impact without suffering passenger.
Steering wheel mounted airbags form an important part of the driver’s restraint system. For a restrained occupant, the deceleration forces, generated in the crash, are transmitted to the occupant through the restraint system. Euro NCAP has encouraged the adoption of seat belt pretentioners, load limiters and dual stage airbags, to help attenuate the forces transmitted to the occupant.



Car to Side Impact


The second most important crash configuration is car to car side impact. Euro NCAP simulates this type of crash by having a mobile deformable barrier (MDB) impact the driver’s door at 50 km/h. The injury protection is assessed by a side impact test dummy, in the driver’s seat.




Pole Side Impact
Accident vary from country to country, but approximately a quarter of all serious injuries happen in side impact collisions. Many of these injuries occur when one car runs into the side of another or into a fixed narrow object such as a tree or pole.
To encourage manufacturers to fit head protection devices, pole test may be performed, where such safety features are fitted. Side impact head or curtain airbags help to protect the head and upper torso by providing a padding effect and by preventing the head from passing through the window opening. In the test, the car tested is propelled sideways at 29kph (18mph) into a rigid pole. The pole is relatively narrow, so there is major penetration into the side of the car.



Pedestrian Protection

A series of tests are carried out to replicate accidents involving child and adult pedestrians where impacts occur at 40kph (25mph). Impact sites are then assessed and rated to weak and poor. In 2009, the pedestrian score has become integral part of the overall rating scheme.


Do you think such tests are a good idea?
When choosing a car pay you attention to safety?
Would you choose Chinese car?


At the end I suggest watch how looks like the Chinese car during the accident:


6 comments:

  1. As I said in previous part I do not care if the car is super safe but I would definetely not choose the Chinese car :-) Who is the producer?

    I think these test are good idea. There are many people who really about safety (for ex. mothers with children, older people, etc.) and that kind of safety rating could help them choosing a right car.

    I am curious how many stars could have my car (if any..) :-). Unfortunately, as author said, Euro NCAP was founded in 1997 and my car is 1995 so I think it haven't been tested.

    Very interesting presentation. I'm looking forward the last part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course. This test are a very good idea but not many people are leading them before select a car - sometimes they even don't know that this test exists.
    Before I chose my car I saw it NCAP test - even though I knew that it's safety.
    Never!! Just see what happenes with the Chinese cars

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think such tests are a good idea?

    Yeah, I think so, but I think that as always the most expensive cars will benefit from this research. The accidents of "consumer" cars will be still in most cases more fatal.

    When choosing a car pay you attention to safety?

    I wouldn't buy any JEEP or any other off road car. Why? Because this types of cars transmit the impact of the crash to the driver (that's because of their strong build).

    Would you choose Chinese car?

    The question is rather complicated. Because if we realize that probably most of the parts are produced in China we don't have much of a choice, do we?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you think dry tests are a good idea?
    If they are objective - yes. The customer has to compare and choose a safer car or not.

    When choosing a car you pay attention to safety?
    Whose safety? Mine and passengers - is most important. If I will choose the choice is always bigger and safer car.

    Would you choose Chinese car?
    And what do you mean by "Chinese car"? Certainly not ever buy a car with low weight ... and whether it will be Chinese or Polish or Turkish - it does not matter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course, that such tests are needed.
    When I bought my car I took these tests into attention.
    I was looking for a car which wasn't on the list. I'm kidding.
    It was important for me, as in testing the car falls. I remember, when I rejected Honda Civic, which crumpled like paper. Of course my car had to have at least two airbags for me and the passenger.

    As for the Chinese cars, this is a massacre. These tests I have already watched some time ago, I hope that Chinese cars, wont be sold in Poland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think tests are very important not only for cars but in many other products too. Thanks to tests we can see if product is for us or not.

    I don't have car yet but safety for me and passengers are important. I like SUVs and I think they are safety and for me :)

    Everything what sounds "Chinese" I don't like it :) But nowadays most of the products are manufactured in Asia, mainly China. We don't have a choice.

    ReplyDelete