Saturday 14 May 2011

Strange behaviors: part02



One of the most popular mental disorders is OCD. Acronym stands for obsessive-compulsive disorder. This disorder often has some funny results (of course not for family members but for random people who run across individuals with this disorder). The Wikipedia characterizes OCD as: “anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, fear, or worry, by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing the associated anxiety, or by a combination of such obsessions and compulsions”. This disorder has very different variations and forms. OCD is the fourth most common mental disorder, and is diagnosed nearly as often as asthma and diabetes. In USA one in 50 adults suffers from this disease (~232mln*1/50=~4,6mln). But why oh why am I writing about OCD? Because many celebrities and famous people have/had it! And they even admit to it. So, here we go:

  • Cameron Diaz

    Obsession: Doorknobs
    Not only does she open doors with her elbows to avoid germ-infested knobs but also she is scrubbing them with anything she has close at hand (even her clothes).

  • Jessica Alba
    Obsession: Perfectionism
    She always wants to do things proficiently and to the best of her ability. She also says that this compulsive obsession helped her carrier and that probably every major actor has it.

  • David Beckham
    Obsession: Symmetry, pairs
    He sorts his shirts according to their color and it is obsessive about placement of things in his house. His wife, Posh, says many funny things about her husband's disorder: “If you open our fridge, it's all coordinated down either side. We've got three fridges – food in one, salad in another and drinks in the third. In the drinks one, everything is symmetrical. If there's three cans of Diet Coke, he'd throw one away rather than having three – because it has to be an even number”. OMG. Pure madness.

  • Alec Baldwin
    Obsession: Cleaning
    He says: “I come home and I'm like: 'Did somebody move that book?' I just notice everything.” He also rinses his glasses even that he has a housekeeper to do that.

  • Leonardo Dicaprio
    Obsession: Cracks in the pavement
    While researching for the role in “The Aviator” which is about eccentric billionaire who suffered from OCD, Dicaprio revisited his childhood obsession with avoiding cracks in the pavement.

  • Woody Allen
    Obsession: Food and death
    He constantly thinks about death and “don't want to be there when it happens.” When he was filming “What's new pussycat?”, he ate soup for 6 months – maybe he tried to lose weight or something.

  • Katy Perry
    Obsession: Freaks out over tiny problems
    Katy Perry told
    Q Magazine: “(...) my worst one (OCD) is if I see a pair of sunglasses with fingerprints on them. Truly, I cannot stand it. I go ape. ‘Oh my God, I can’t breathe! Wipe them clean! Agghhh!’”. Gush, another celeb without any real problems. ;)

  • Megan Fox
    Obsession: Public toilets, Restaurant's silverware
    She describes her obsessions: “This is a sickness, I have an illness, this is not OK anymore,”
    Megan Fox told Allure magazine. “I’m never doing that again [using toilets without seat covers]. Every time someone uses a bathroom and they flush, all the bacteria are shot into the air”. And about the silverware: “Putting my mouth where a million other mouths have been, just knowing all the bacteria that you carry in your mouth? Ucch.” OMG. I've this ones! :D Luckily I just eat at fast foods so they give me plastic cutlery.

  • Justin Timberlake
    Obsession: Mix
    His OCD is little similar to the Beckham's ones. He's crazy about symmetry and makes sure that everything is lined up perfectly. Another thing is that his fridge has to stocked with certain kinds of foods or he would go ape.

  • Jenifer Aniston
    Obsession: Cleanliness
    If she can't avoid making hand contact with other people she uses hand sanitizers after the “contact”, despite the weird looks on other people faces. She also has special bathroom in her house that is reserved for guests only. In public she constantly wipes grocery carts, hand rails, elevator buttons, door knobs, and anything else that other people touch. So now we know why Brat Pitt divorced her. ;)

  • Howie Mandel
    Obessions: Many ;>
    Let the videos speak for themselves:

Of course there are other celebs like for example Penelope Cruz but they (celebs) probably have too weird strange behaviors to share it with rest of the world.

Another thing is that famous polish movie “Dzień Świra” has examples of OCD.

(watch from ~3:30)

12 comments:

  1. haha I've just watched this link from 'Dzien swira'. I love this movie. Actually I see some of the behaviors presented there, almost every day. Especially in busses when one person get off, so someone change the seat and then another person sat where the second was seating..and so on. It looks weird but also veryyyy funny. And I don't think it's only whims maybe sometimes people bahave strangely to attract attention. But I know many people who have their little quirks. And they truely believe that if they do something like nothing significant everything will be ok. Sometimes I do the same:) nothing to worry about..unless it's begins to interfere in everyday life too much.

    I think everybody has it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. There is an TV series called Mr Monk where the main character has every obsessions you mentioned :-)
    Fortunately I haven't found any similarities in my behaviours.
    If the OCD topic is in Wikipedia I believe it exists ;-)
    Of course some celebrities could have some disorders but some of them talk about it fo fame.
    I saw a woman on the street some time ago, who was screaming some random words. I thought she's drunk but it could be something called a Tourette Syndrome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that some strange behaviors and obsessions in many cases is a serious mental problem just like a neurosis of importunities, neurotic problems or unfounded fears. The problem is if it is a real mental problem and not a paranoia, panic or just a hypochondria. On the other hand for an example an unfounded fears is one of the most common symptom of the depression.


    I think that the stars celebrities just want to make some free publicity because such a „funny”obsesions as they supposedly have are... let’s say... fashionable in their crazy and mannered environment.


    My friend has a fear of air crash. As a matter of fact she is afraid that some plane can hit and be smashed on her block of flats. One day she tried to insure herself against such a crash but you can imagine what the insurance agent had thought about her. Of course it was impossible. Frankly speaking she is a person who likes to be conspicuous and observed as... a absorbing:). Well I think it is just a fad and show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I take look at me, seriously I can say I have every of them but fragmented:) OCD - yes, that could be true. Actually there are those diseases existing separately, so why shouldn't connect them together? I thing every kind of disorder harming people. We can equal them to addictions. There are situations that you cannot control your body and that fact is terrifying. What about celebrities? Everything is useful, everything is good when people talk about them. There're people who can make almost everything to be on the top of the most "talk-able" person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. The only similar behavior that I have in common with your text is perfectionism.

    2. OCD sounds like mental disorder.

    3. Probably. ;)

    4. Of course just as any disorder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personally I struggle with perfectionism. For example I find it very difficult to turn in any paper unless it's just the way I wanted it to be. Even though I know I could probably turn it in the way it is, imperfect, but enough to give me a positive grade, I decide to work on it a lot more and finally be late and fail. This is obviously a sign of some light mental problems because it's harming myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely I found something for me !!!!!
    My obsession are public toilets and swimming pools can not use them because everywhere I see millions of bacteria.

    I once read book "Kissing the handle" with obsessive-compulsive disorder, you can really get into paranoia. The book described the cases of particular children who fell into a rut of paranoia, that enclosed them in a small cage obsessive-compulsive disorder.

    In fact, example is the detective Monk, a few years I worked with a man who resembled him extremely. He had his obsessions - he had to drink tea about the same time, he always had the same prepared sandwiches, a little orange juice and cereal bar. Everyday at the same time he went out for a newspaper ... It was mildly annoying:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. None of the behavior does not concern me. But every day you can see that many people doing the same. It seems to me that by the time we do not force others to do our way is correct. The problem begins when our behavior affects the behavior of others and they feel aggrieved. Watching more than once, "Dzień Świra" I laughed myself to tears, could not understand that such figures as the hero, played by an excellent actor, Marek Konrad, lost in their habits. I think that many people may have similar problems.
    Famous people are no different from inncyh. They are also human beings, what their different jednyne a way to make money. I believe that those who sell your privacy is simply stupid. Even if the conduct cited in the presentation of their concern, it is not selling all over themselves, but their ability to have time to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. of course ocd exists, it's no whim. maybe the celebrities make that up but for sure many of this is real. They can do any other thing to attract attention, this is like revealing a fault, which they probably don't want.

    It might be very disturbing. Imagine a person who can't stop cleaning until everything is aseptic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. think that I do not have OCD and that I keep everything in balance. However I do sometimes walk in to my home and I find that some of my books have been moved (even though they have been moved just a centimeter). Sometimes when I clean everything has to be even cleaner than clean which makes me a little bit afraid of that since I might get OCD of that. I think OCD really exists and I know many people with OCD. It is a disorder and it is not somebody’s imagination. It is like any other disorder. It is a mental state of somebody’s mind. Many celebrities have OCD because it is a normal disorder like any other disorder. But it is true that there are also people who use this disorder in order to be more famous and make more mess about themselves. In many cases the disorder comes from the fact that they have to think
    of something that will make people have sympathy for them. I think that just as any other disorder OCD is a real pain in the neck for anybody who has it. Imagine if you had to wipe out your hands every time you shake hands with anybody on the street. Since I have many friends who have OCD I have noticed many cases of wiping out hands or desperately cleaning their faces. There are numerous cases (which can be really weird sometimes) when people show their OCD

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I was young I liked to have everything in order, tidy and clean (I don't know if it was OCD or not). With age this behaviour disappeared and now I have total mess ;) (probably it is caused by lack of time). I think that my father may have OCD, because he needs to have everything properly ordered, eq. water or something must stand in a row with label to front :D (this is what annoys me sometimes). He also perfectly knows how much for example whiskey there was in a bottle - if I drink something he always recognizes that there is less than was ;>

    ReplyDelete