Saturday 14 May 2011

Technology in field of Healthcare

World’s first antibiotic, Penicillin had been synthesized and acclaimed as a model medical miracle. X-ray’s are still used to visualize most of medical examinations helping to diagnose many diseases.
“Medical world” has accomplished so much, but still can surprise us.
I’m deeply convinced doctors will achieve much more. In my opinion people have just begun to realize the power of technologies that combine devices with medicines or Information Technologies, opening new possibilities.
Technology of healthcare is really fascinating field for me. That’s why I have decided to show you several news of “medical world”.

Virtual Anatomical Model

It is a new teaching tool for medical students and young doctors, who use virtual reality and “flexible display” technology. A projector can process images in 3D graphics of internal organs and display them on the humans’ model.
This technology is useful by medical students trying to get skills necessary in surgery during operations. From their perspective 3D technology makes it appear as if there is transparent human body inside mannequin. Students can see simulations of anatomy from many different angles just rotating the mannequin in different positions.
Computer graphics processes and recreates the function of internal organs. This 3D images can be bound with medical explanations. This material helps medical students to understand many difficult issues of the human body.

“In anatomy, it is important to have a grasp of spatial relationships. It’s difficult to know the distances between each organ or how deep they are placed underneath the skin. This kind of knowledge cannot be acquired by listening to a lecture or by studying diagrams. Medical students can easily ascertain these things by getting hands-on experience using an anatomical model and more importantly their memory retrieving capability is strengthened by using this system. ”
Ryugo Kijima, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Engineering Gifu University Virtual System Laboratory.


Virtual nurse

This is just a computer program embedded into dedicated hardware.
It can look like a person, it can use all the same words to talk to patients before they leave the hospital. Of course, it will never be like a real nurse, it can’t care for patients, can’t give them medications, even hold their hand.
But it can teach them a lot of stuff. It can explain things in a very slow and nice and easy way. A Virtual nurse uses voice, so it can talk to patients.
Photo by Glenn Kulbako.


Remote Controlable Pacemakers

Before you read about next amazing device, short repetition.



You should know that the heart disease is the highest cause of death. It causes 25% of the deaths in the world. So, 12 million people die each year because of heart attack.

I’m sure you’ve seen at least one episode of “Dr. House”. Haven't you? :)
There are often situations such as you can see below.



Let's discuss the following situation:
You’re middle-aged, you don’t smoke, you cultivate a healthy lifestyle and in spite of everything one day your doctor tells you about your high risk of heart disease..?!
Yes, it’s possible.
Sometime later, while shopping in the city center you fall, you have a heart attack. Someone calls the doctor, the ambulance arrives in just 10 minutes. The medical staff tries hard to save your life but, unfortunately it’s about 6-7 minutes too late… Your brain is dead.
If your doctor had an opportunity to propose you a “PACEMAKER” after detecting the high risk of heart disease, in this discussed situation you would probably stand up and continue shopping with only a little noise in your head.

Implanted cardiodefibrilator gives 20-30J electric impulses and works the same way as the one from the movie (by the way, in some cases devices shown in the movie are dangerous for patients and the doctors because of very strong, 300-350J electric impulse ).
Implantable pacemakers and defibrillators are devices that apply the electric shocks to maintain the rhythm of the heart and, if necessary, “restart” it.
As the technology improves and a list of treatable conditions grows, a number of devices is being implanted is increasing steadily, and now exceeds half a million/year. Read more...


Medtronic CareLink monitor is designed to automatically send implanted heart’s device information to patient’s clinic from the convenience of home. The device uses a fixed analog phone line. CareLink can automatically communicate heart device. In case of irregularities personal doctor (patient’s guardian) is immediately informed via email, sms etc.
There are also available recorded events (details of measurements and EKG from inside of patient's heart).
Devices like this above give users an incredible peace of mind, a sense of security. But above all, significantly extend their life sometimes for many years.

Unfortunately, an electronic device can sometimes fail or perform an irregular activity. Let’s see what can happen…



_____________________________________________________________
Would you like to maximize your life using devices such as macemakers?
Some people don’t want to interfere with human nature and live as long as it’s possible without putting any devices inside their body.

What do you think about the ever-growing middle-aged man's death? Do you think overcrowding is caused by medicine achievements?

Have you ever called an ambulance? How long did you have to wait for its arrival?

14 comments:

  1. One day in summer I met an old woman who had felt unwell. She had some pain in the vicinity of heart. We tried to call an ambulance but the telephone line had been engaged for a long time and finally an operator was so unpleasant and rude that the other woman drieved her to the hospital because a waiting for an ambulance was senseless. I really hate health service:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really sad. Unfortunately, there are still many stupid jokes as giving information about the accident that had not occurred. But this does not justify operator's improper behavior. Hopefully, if we gonna get some horrible disease, the positive impact of reliable, advanced medical electronics will save us. :)
    I strongly believe that our lives won't depend on the adverse people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have called an ambulance once, so far. It was a summer morning. My colleague felt down from stairs - that was an old basement outside the shop. unfortunately I was just after few bears. I called 999 and I wanted ambulance to arrived as soon as possible. I spent more and less 20-30 minutes for senseless talking. (actually I had to call few times, because medical operator were disconnecting the calls) I had to proof the 'stupid' lady that my case isn't a joke, I'm speaking seriously and I'm not so drunk.

    Few years ago there was a law, when you call an ambulance just for fun or your case isn't so dangerous - you have to pay extra for that service. That idea caused big increase of died people then. Most of retired people were afraid of calling ambulance because they weren't sure about seriousness of disease.
    Now they change that low.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been waiting all my life and I am still looking forward to the times when I will be able to use any spare parts.

    In my opinion overcrowding is caused partially by medical achievements. Few years ago people died even from nowadays easy to cure diseases.

    In my life I had to call ambulance. It took far too long over twenty minutes and what is more it had so short distance that I would get there on foot in ten minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe the driver had to finish e.g. chess game...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luckily, I did not such a situation, to call an ambulance. Probably being in that situation I'd panicked ... it's terrible, but unfortunately I do not check the crisis.

    I think the reason for frequent mortality of men in middle age, is a lifestyle, style of eating.
    Quick stressful life in the pursuit of money is the main cause of heart attacks. Large quantities of coffee to still be "on the go " and quick "junk" food is a picture of this day most people.

    Certainly not would agree to such extension of life. I prefer a healthy lifestyle and I know that this can only extend them to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had severall situations when I had to call ambulance. For the first time I waited about 20 minutes before they arrived and in other situation they came very quickly - probably because the were very close.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had the opportunity to be inside ambulance called to person having accident. When I asked the driver why he goes so slowly, he said that it would be better to find one man dead, than if someone else had seen four dead bodies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My friend who has been working for two months in an ambulance told us many crazy examples of call. For an example it is common that people phone and say that they feel unwell but it turnes out that they don't have a prescription for some medicine because on sunday clinic is closed or another example of woman who calls because her son doesn't want to work.

    It is just incredible:(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't like to artificially or naturally prolong my life right now, but you never know, maybe one day I will want to.

    Overcrowding is not caused by the progress in medicine, or at least not significantly. Remember that the world is big enough to fit and feed us all, but where we concentrate is a different thing. As the practice shows people can settle and live anywhere.

    I once was in a group who needed to call an ambulance for a friend of ours who twisted his knee during a martial arts training. It took 50 minutes for the ambulance to get from wherever (I think the nearest station is in the very centre of Warsaw) to Karowa street (10mins away in car).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that if such devices were to save my life I would not hesitate to have it installed in my body. Even though I do not like the idea of having anything in my own body I think that for my own sake I would like to have it. I would have to know first that such devices really work and that they will not hurt my body and health. I think that in the future people will have it installed on a regular basis it just has to prove to be a good device. It is just as it was with anything that was fresh and newly introduced. People were afraid of it but in the end it turned out to be helpful. I think that people are dying at a younger and younger age and I think that we will need a better devices than pacemakers (since they can sometimes malfunction) to prevent people from dying too soon. I have called an ambulance once for a man who fainted and hurt his head. The ambulance in this case came really quick since it was in the city centre but the arrival time in most cases takes too long. Human’s brain after 4 minutes ceases to function and if this person does not receive help he or she will die. I think that authorities should do their best to make sure that help comes within these 4 minutes

    ReplyDelete
  12. I my doctor would advise me to have such devices probably I would strongly think about it and decide for it. Ofcourse I would like to be non-computerized etc. as long as it is possible - but also I would like to live at least to 70 ;> So if such devices could help me with it (causing that I will feel like normal, health person) I would like to have them - but probably such devices are expensive?
    Could you give price of such pacemaker?

    I think that in Poland a devices like virtual nurse will not appear very soon in public hospitals as most of them are in of debt, there is no money for treating patients so for sure it will take a long time, a lot of reforms of our social care when such devices will appear (or maybe they will never appear)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I had to call ambulance twice or three times, when my mum's life was in danger. Luckily we didn't have to wait too long, every time it took several minutes.

    I don't see any purpose to make my life extremely long. I care of my health, I think I should do it not only for myself, but also for my family. Having artificial implants in my body is another thing. My family is a long-living one, but is it such a pleasure to be ninety five? When I was younger I used to be afraid of it!

    Anyway, we already use some artificial parts of body and we got used to it. I mean for example all sorts of prosthesis or implanted teeth. Probably other devices will be nothing extraordinary in decades anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  14. kamyk, I have no idea about the price :)
    It may not be cheap. But, probably most of us in life-threatening situation would pay a lot for saving life.

    ReplyDelete