Sunday 24 April 2011

Obesity around the world - part III

In this part I’ll present you different possibilities for active spending of your free time. I‘ll also tell you which my favorites are.

Probably most of you spend most of the day sitting in front of a computer, in classes or something like this. It’s normal for students.

So if you want to be fit and feel better you must start exercising/doing sport. It’s not as difficult or expensive as for example fast diet products. Your physical activity should be at least 2-3 times a week for about 30-45 min, but every day is the best. It depends on what you want to do. Now I’ll show you what you can do.



If you want to have a good condition or reduce your weight you can start from home exercises or, if there is good weather, you can do running, jogging or cycling. Some people say that a good idea is to do it before breakfast. Your workout should take at least 30 minutes if you want to lose weight. The tempo shouldn’t be too high and should be constant. Another popular thing you can do is Nordic walking. I’ve chosen running and I do it 2-3 times a week in the summer. The best thing is these activities are free :-).


http://www.trendz.pl/files/imagecache/wide2/files/gallery7810Jogging.jpg

Another interesting activity is swimming. It’s good for all muscles. It also helps you to reduce your weight. If you can’t swim you can do an aqua aerobic. I usually go to a swimming pool in autumn and winter about 2-3 times a week. It’s very relaxing. After swimming you can go to Jacuzzi and sauna. Swimming pool is not very expensive. It costs from about 10-18 zł for 1-2 hours if you are a student.


http://robertrosenthal.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/08/17/michael_phelps_swimming_bejing_2008.jpg

Next thing I do in winter is volleyball. I rent a school gym hall with my friends once a week for 1,5h. It’s great fun! Warm-up is quite intensive so it’s great to improve your condition. Costs are low because we are sharing them for 10-12 people. It’s about 20-30 zł per month. It could be any other game like: (indoor) soccer, basketball , handball, unihockey, etc.


http://polish-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/volleyball1.jpg

At the end my favorite activity, which is the gym. I have gone to the gym 3-4 times a week for about 3 years. It’s great for men, but there are quite a lot women who go to the gym too. Women can also go to fitness trainings. In the gym you can work with all parts of your muscles. An interesting thing is that if you want to, for example, lose weight doing belly exercises, your result will be poor. You can’t reduce fat in one part of a body. I’ll said you should do an aerobic workout (such as jogging or cycling) and it will gives you a proper result. For me the gym is also a social place. I have a lot of friends there and I can talk with them during breaks between exercises. My gym costs about 130 zł / month for students. It’s the most expensive thing from this text but it’s a normal price.


http://www.gym411.com/images/fitness-top-1.jpg


If you already play any sport or do another activity – good for you. If not – you should start. You probably have a lot exercises (no time, no money, no place, etc.) but I’m sure you can find 30 min / 2-3 times a week. Money is not necessary and place is not a problem if you really look for it.

At the end some tips about diet and workouts from really “hardcore” body builder – Robert Burneika :-)



I hope you will change your lifestyle to healthy one after reading this presentation. It’s easy and obvious for most of you but it’s hard to start. If you change your habits it will become normal. I hope my advice was useful.

Questions:

  1. 1. Do you play any sport or do any other activity? What is it?
  2. 2. What kind of sport did you choose to pass your sport classes in school?
  3. 3. Does anyone of your family or friends leads a healthy, active lifestyle? Is she/he satisfied?

20 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately now I don't have time for any sport, I go to job at the morning than to the University from 17-20.30 and after that I just want to go home and get rest.
    Nordic Walking was for me clever idea - someone had idea to tell people that walking around with sticks (almost like those one used while skiing - as for me they are different just with their 'ending') is healthy and know gains money on it - those sticks aren't cheap as far as I know. Good business.
    Coming back to topic - I like to play football from time to time its great sport - but most often I watch it on TV ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Info at the end of the first clip: "you should do 2 sets and 8-12 repetitions". How the hell I can do that in a hour? This can take like a 10mins max probably. For 10min workout I wouldn't even bother to go to gym. The walking/preparing would took longer than the gym session.

    --

    >The best thing is these activities are free :-).<

    You have to pay for the sticks for northern walking. Another thing is that from excessive running you can have problems with keens later in life. And to absorb the load on your knees you have to invest in some semi-pro running shoes. So for me it looks like it's not really free.

    --

    >>> 1. Do you play any sport or do any other activity? What is it?

    I do strength training and ride a bike (stationary and outdoor).

    >>> 2. What kind of sport did you choose to pass your sport classes in school?

    Football. I'm not a big fan of watching football but I like to play. Pretty weird.

    >>> 3. Does anyone of your family or friends leads a healthy, active lifestyle? Is she/he satisfied?

    Most of my family leads healthy, active style. I can't say for sure they are satisfied. They do it because it's like habit for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Yes I do play lots of sport. My favorite disciplines are swimming, football and even climbing. However sport takes time in my life, which I do not have that much therefore I use every single minute to practice sport.

    2. When I was at school I did not have to chose any sports to pass my gym class. If you attended sport classes and passed some tests after the school year you passed the class.

    3. Yes, lots of people I know, even my family members lead healthy lifestyle. They have lots of free time and they can spend it on taking care of themselves. They eat healthy food and they practice jogging every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit that I am really lazy and I hate spending my spare time on gym etc. I prefer to watch some film, go for a walk... whatever but not sport for sure. I have some friends who train everyday. I admire their endurance and stubborness and to be honest I am also a little bit jealous because I just can’t do this. On the other hand sometimes they seems to have an obsession and to be crazy about good looping. Everything is good when we do it in moderation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have time for sports but well to be honest you can as well do lot of sports and die in car accident and be overweight and live very long.

    There is no simple answer how you should live, if healthy lifestyle make you feel better then good for you :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. why would anyone go to a gym? what is there that you can do only there? you can run anywhere and do weightlifting at home...

    i don't do any activity, it takes too much to fight my laziness. But i go for walks a lot, always sing when do it:) nothing better than that:)

    i had to do voleyball which i quite like and football which i hate.

    oh, i forgot, once in a year I go skiing - love it! snowboard too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. I play Starcraft ;) Only eSport, but sometimes I ride bike.

    2. Since sixth class of primary school I used medical leave.

    3. No. My brother used lead such a lifestyle, but he stopped it so I believe that he wasn’t satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I ride on a bike very often especially in the summer but I do not train anything. I also admire people who are so mobilized to train everyday, play sports, go to gym etc.
    I've heard that students of AWF are the happiest young people in the world;)
    I know that every time I physically active i am happier and more satisfied.
    I hated WF at school because of many sports I didn't like to play..
    now I do what I like:) for instance snowboarding in the winter and cycling in the summer. In my family only my sis has something to do with sports, she loves to ski.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love snowboarding, basketball, cycling and roller skating. Sometimes I manage to choose the pool. Over the years practicing Pilates, what really gives fantastic results. In high school I played in the school in basketball, but I also really liked volleyball. I HATE to run. In my family has always actively spend the time and my boyfriend practicing kickboxing.

    I believe that sport is very necessary for the proper functioning of the body.
    I often see that if you spend too much time in front of a computer or neglects to exercise feels more tired than after exercise.

    I encourage you to sporting life:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. Do you play any sport or do any other activity? What is it?

    I don't play any sport, because i don't like team activity, I rather like to work alone.

    2. What kind of sport did you choose to pass your sport classes in school?

    I have choosen gym, beacuse I can there train alone, when I want and how long I want to. I was the best option for me.

    3. Does anyone of your family or friends leads a healthy, active lifestyle? Is she/he satisfied?

    Yes, my sister 2-3 times a week swims at local swimming pool she is quite satisfied. She treats it more as a relaxation than exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to exercise artistic gymnastics but now I'm lazy... The only sport I play is chasing running bus ;) But I really like to swim, although after it I'm so hungry I can eat everything. I also like riding on the bike but I don't have one.
    So sport of my choice at school was gym of course.
    Unfortunately noone in my family don't lead active lifestyle although our two dogs try to help us with long walks in the park three times per a day ;)
    There are also sports I hate not only training but watching too. I hate running, it's so exhausting... I also don't like, but watching box or MMA. I really can't see it as a sport...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am also lazy. I once played football at the club, and now I don't have a team and time to play. Recently I try to enjoy good weather. In my freetime I ride a bike. We have a few cycle ways In Warsaw. I also play basketball in the park Agrykola. I stopped eating fast food and I feel much better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love to practise sports, when I have possibility I ride a bike, play tennis and some times swim. Riding a bike is fast, healthy and eco way of moving aruond Warsaw. But this type of activity have some disadvatages, when it's rainy of windy day it's easy to get a flu. Cycling on public roads may be dangerous, some drivers don't look in mirrors, you can have a crash.
    When I was in school I played tennis and swim a lot. Of course when it was possilbe i ride to school on bike.
    No one in my family lead active style. I not sure, i think they aren't proud of this. I suppouse if they practise some sport they will be satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Actually I’m quite lazy person but finally I’ve found some time for gym. So now that is my primary activity. But when I force my laziness I do really enjoy to spend my time in an active way. From time to time I participate in tennis, bike and others. But now in many cases that’s only “słomiany zapał” – but never mind, satisfaction is matter. I used to swim a lot. Especially when I was practicing Life Guarding. After that I started to work and have a problem to find any free time period for that.

    I didn’t participate in any sports group in our school. Why? When I started to have a P.E. there was only a football team… Maybe that’s strange but I cannot understand that way of sport. I don’t know the rules and I don’t know how to play. Let me look at my family.. Hmm, I have a few family members that are quite close to sport activates. Some of them are fighters others are swimmers and runners. Rest of them watching Eurosport channel professionally 

    ReplyDelete
  17. Unfortunately, I also have no time to sport.

    My favorite sport is swimming discipline, but to go to the pool you have to spend more time than 30-45 minutes

    (dressing, access to the pool and go home, it takes a total of about 1.5 - 2 hours). Physical exercise is good for our wellbeing and we need, for example: less tire of going up the stairs:)

    I hope that in the near future I'll find more free time. But for now I admire people who have self-denial, perseverance, and a few times a week or every day play sports.

    Several people from my family and friends regularly play sport. I Do not know if they treat it as a form of addiction, or the desire to feel good, but all the time telling me that exercise improves their mood and makes it possible to discharge excess energy.

    The school did not appreciate physical activity, treated them as necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  18. and about running, you mentioned you do it 2-3 times a week. It's great idea for losing your weight and keep you in good shape. However nothing is free:) if you don't have good shoes you rather should give up the running because it's not very good for your spine. If someone have problem like this the best is recommended by you swimming. It definietely relieves your spine and strengthens muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sport is my way of relaxing. Both watching and practicing. I love play football and amateur do it in Warsaw with friends from work. After the game I feel relaxed and exhausted but it gives me a mental and physical strength and confidence :) Also I'm fan of the FC Barcelona so it's natural I watching their matches on TV :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I participate in different sports depending on the season. During
    winter I like snowboarding and skating. In the summer I take rides on
    my bike as well as roller skates. Once in a while I like to play ASG.
    I did a parkour a while ago. What I like about this type of sports
    most is that it’s not only a physical activity, but it also gives me
    the opportunity to spend time outside, in the sun. I think that
    regular contact with nature is almost as important as staying in good
    shape.

    To pass WF at school I chose gym. I had to pay for it, so I tried to
    do all the hours in one month. I managed to succeed in that attempt
    and I had lots of fun in doing so.
    My mum rides a bicycle regularly. Recently she started Nordic
    walking. She takes walks around a lake in a forest nearby. She says
    she loves it.

    ReplyDelete