Wednesday 17 November 2010

Exotic Animals part I

Hello all again ;)!
This time, I would like to present you my new hobby. Though the plans and dreams were already there for a long time, just about a year ago I decided to take care of it. Well, maybe not completely decided, because the decision was made for me but it doesn’t matter. Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you leopard gecko;)




About Gecko
Eublepharis macularius is the Latin name of this species of lizards and it means ‘Spotted with real eyelids’. The term ‘spotted’ comes from the coloring of geckos which live in the wild.

This picture presents leopard gecko in the wild.



The last part of the original Latin name tells us that this lizard sleeps with closed eyes and it’s unique.
This picture presents sleeping leopard gecko.


Eublepharis gecko inhabits deserts and semi-arid mountainous areas of minor and central Asia.
Many times I have heard that ‘geckos are slippery’, sometimes it looks like they are, but in reality their body is covered with tiny scales which aren’t slippery. We can distinguish lots of color varieties, but many young leopards look almost the same. With age their coloration changes. This happens when the geckos grow while their skin doesn’t grow with them. Then they need to shed the old one. Under the old skin is already a new one, more colorful and intense, with slightly new patterns. During molting, gecko rubs on rough surfaces. Geckos eat their old skin after dumping to obtain proteins and vitamins that are needed for their growth. Some believe that they do it in order to remove the traces of their presence.






These movies show leopard gecko during the skin change known as molting.


Leopard geckos are typically small lizards. Hatchlings tend to measure from 6.5 to 8.4 cm in length and weighing about 3 grams while the adult geckos are about 20 to 27.5 cm in length and weigh from around 45 to 65 grams. The biggest one has more then 35 cm and weighs over 250gram (which is more than three times more than normal one). Before buying leopard gecko you should know that theses lizards live up to 20-25 years ;). Quite a lot :D.
This picture presents ‘Super Gian’ leopard.


Many of my friends ask me about geckos and they want to know if geckos are dangerous? I tell them that these lizards aren’t dangerous, they are calm.
Leopard Geckos are animals that have quite temperament but they aren’t dangerous. They can be nervous and aggressive only when disturbed. In these situations they usually escape or change they posture. Leopards look very funny when taking postures ;), whole its body is raised and in its eyes we can see irritation.

This movies present afraid leopard who tries to escape.


This picture presents funny posture of scared gecko.


Sometimes geckos open their snout and make strange noises. (As You can see in the picture on the top of presenation)


This movies present screaming leopard gecko


As I pointed earlier leopard geckos are calm and I’m sure that they can not do anything bad to people. But we can do something bad to them. When geckos are in danger - they can drop their tail.


This picture present leopard gecko without a tail
Picture of gecko tail after dropping


Tail dropping is a normal defense mechanism that helps the reptile escape.
When the lizard, drops its tail, the tail continues to wriggle and flop around (as seen in the videos below) to distract the predator, giving the gecko enough time to find safety place.



On this video we can see leopard gecko who just dropped its tail.

There is no need to worry when gecko lose its tail. After a week tail will grow back and after about forty days leopard tail regenerates completely.

Leopard gecko tail after 7 day’s

Leopard gecko tail after 31 day’s

Geckos are herd animals and they don’t like to live alone, therefore in breeding and in the wild they live in a harem, consisting of one male and several females. Keeping a male with one female may lead to death of a female and keeping male with male it’s not a good idea because then only the strongest will survive. These animals have strong territorial instinct which can be easily observed. Leopard geckos are ectothermic. They absorb warmth and energy from the sunlight during the day which accelerates the process of digestion. At night when it gets colder they are more active and then they hunt.
The incubation of young leopard is really interesting phenomenon. After about 4-5 weeks from copulation the female lays first two eggs. Only one copulation gives females possibility to lay from eight to twelve eggs. In captivity we need to move the eggs into a special incubator where will be in constant temperature. It should be done because if we leave eggs in the terrarium the chances of hatching are zero. We must be cautious with eggs because even a small twist can make the embryo die. After about two weeks we can shine a flashlight on the eggs to check if they are fertilized. If we can see the embryo we know that everything is ok.


This pictures show embryo of gecko


I just found a great movie. You must see it!!


Leopard gecko embryo moving.


Time of the egg incubation depends on the temperature at which they are held. It’s between 35-40 days (in 32,5 C degrees ) and 60-70 days (in 26-27C degrees). As you can see low temperature makes that incubation longer while high temperature makes that incubation faster. The process of gecko baby getting out takes up to 2 hours. As you can see in the videos below, this is amazing, isn’t it?



This films presents leopard gecko hatching.

In the following sections I would like to present something more about their uniqueness;)


Questions:
1.) Have you ever heard about geckos?
2.) What do You thing about lizards?
3.) Do you also think that lizards are slimy? If yes, why?
4.) What do You thing about movie with gecko embryo and hatching?
5.) Please, tell me did I make you interested in geckos enough? Maybe you would like to have one?
6.) What do You thing about keeping lizards at home?

15 comments:

  1. Well maybe I heard something about them but don't remember much..
    lizards are a little scary for me, looks like small dragons as you wrote somewhere.. And they look slimy, why? i think just because of their appearance:)
    movies?sorry I couldn't watch them;but you re writing about it like you re really interested in Geckos, passion is good..but still i could not have gecko at home:)maybe because I wouldn't know how to take care of them::

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pictures of tail growing after being cut. I always wanted to know how it looks. When I see those animals I think about dragons. I really believe that there were dragons back in the days. Maybe without the fire :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Guys, to be honest I have never seen geckos live. The only issue I associate it with is Pentagram Gecko. I am not a fun of this type of animals. I cannot even imagine what would I do if I found one at home. As it was said by one of our colleagues, they are scary. I did not enjoy the pictures showing how is the tail growing after it is cut, I really cannot image how people can have these animals at homes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello and welcome, What can I say, I have a gecko myself - it's she Panchitte and gives a lot of amazing impressions every day. In Poland and maybe round the world geckos are not so popular as domestic animals, probably because they are very demanding as for their terrariums. They have to be provided with a few warmth zones - with different temperature and light, special foundation and food. But when you get through all the initial inconveniences, taking care of such an animal will be pure pleasure. I don't want to write at length because Tom had written a lot and of course you can find even more on the Internet. But there is one thing I would like to mention about -especially because that was the reason why I bought such a creature. As you can notice geckos have quite thick and long tails in comparsion to their bodies. It is because geckos store up water and food in their tails to prepare themselves for the long days of hunger, which take place in their natural dangerous habitat. But for a breeder or carer of such a tiny tot it is a great plus. When I back home for christmas I have my panchitte here in Warsaw , but even if I would like to go for holidays it wouldn't be a problem because the food stored in its tail would be sufficient for him even for a month. That's the time which I can spend out of flat without taking it with me - which is quite a problem if we take its terrarium into consideration or a person who would like to take care of it - gecko will take care of himself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you ever heard about geckos?

    Yes I have. Although not from Discovery channel as you might expect, but from a Fallout game :)

    What do You thing about lizards?

    I have never hated them as many people do. I actually liked sneaking on them when I was a kid! ;) Lizards can be pretty good looking in fact and I don't find them repelling at all. Pictures of leopard gecko in your presentation are really great, love'em!

    What do You thing about movie with gecko embryo and hatching?

    If I was it's father I would be proud ;)
    I probably couldn't own a lizard and keep in my flat. My girlfriend would become insomniac I guess. Nevertheless I find geckos an interesting animals and I enjoyed reading through your presentation about them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I googled geckos prices and have come across a pet store in Poland having plenty of geckos on sale: http://www.szrek.pl/?modul=oferta&id_wmenu3=2

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This shop is really only one in Warsaw however, the owners organize at least three times a year exotic market and breeders from across Poland come to Warsaw

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well perhaps geckos are not so bad but I still prefer my cat :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Personally I wouldn't like a reptile because reptile are quite simple and their relationship with human is purely mechanical. Mammals are much more developed intellectuality, and dogs have even empathy. The most exotic animal I would have is capybara, which unfortunately live in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Personally I don't like reptiles because those animals are quite underdeveloped and their abilyty form having contact human in practice is purely mechanical. Mammals are much more developed, dogs for example have even empathy. The most exotic animal which I would have is capybara, which unfortunately lives in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. Yes I have heard about it. They are cool animal.

    2. they are very interesting animal probablly better than snake.
    3. Not.
    4. Its nice to see how the gecko is born.
    5. Ya you got my attention. It was nice to know more about gecko but I dont intend to have one for myself.
    6. Maybe, it you must choose it over snake and spider.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting post. I Have Been wondering about this issue, so thanks for posting. Pretty cool post.It 's really very nice and Useful post.Thanks Exotic Cat Breeds

    ReplyDelete
  13. Im no expert, but I believe you just made an excellent point. You certainly fully understand what youre speaking about, and I can truly get behind that. Exotic animals for sale

    ReplyDelete
  14. You actually make it look so easy with your performance but I find this matter to be actually something which I think I would never comprehend. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I'm looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it! 婚介

    ReplyDelete
  15. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. canada visa

    ReplyDelete