Tuesday 16 November 2010

I'd like to welcome all of you. It's really a pleasure to see so many people interested in what others think even if that's just for marks only;) What I'd like to tell you about is my dream journey to Southern Asia. So let's get straight to the point.

First of all, there are three countries -- Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia -- to visit. First sketch is placed below, but that's just to show the main idea, not exact places. We'll be traveling by ourselves. There will be no guide, no tourist group, hotels etc. There will be only us and our backpacks. This gives us a possibility of doing everything in our own pace, or at least I imagine it like that.




First place is Thailand which I'd like to discuss a little today. Like probably everyone knows, Thailand is located in Southern Asia. It is bordered by Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and Burma, when speaking of countries. But there are also Gulf of Thailand and Andaman Sea there. Probably most of you don't know that Thailand is a monarchy with a king that reigns starting from 1946. That's pretty awesome.

What's more interesting, at least for me, is the different climate there. Tropical climate and monsoons are two most common examples of those differences. It's hard to imagine that for half of the year it rains there nearly every day and all that water evaporates a moment after and all that becomes humidity. It's probably the worse part of the year for visitors. Although it may be interesting, the other part of the year seems a better choice. During that part monsoon comes from northeast and brings dry and hot air, so that temperature is around 40 C. When I see pictures or read about southern tropical rainforests with commonness of orchids, colourful parrots flying everywhere, elephants and 13% of area being parts of national parks, it makes me want to live there.



But there's more. There's culture that has so much to do with Buddhism which can be seen at every turn. Thai culture has been influenced by many migrations throughout the ages, but there's something exceptional about it. Siginificant part of the art is connected with Buddhism which is the most influential religion (or maybe a philosophical and ethical system) there. Buddha can be seen all over there like crosses in Poland. What's interesting is that monks hold many public offices and they have free public transport. Furthermore, most male kids become monks for at least three months and their family earns great merit thanks to this. I'm not sure if that's not just a shallow ritual nowadays, but it's difficult to find out without going there.

Last, but not least is food. I can't even imagine how great it can be to go to the marketplace where everything is different from European food. Moreover, those places can be located on boats on which a cook cooks your food. It's so different from what I've seen in my entire life, that it makes happy to even think about it.

Of course, that's not all. There are plenty of things that seem great but I don't want to bore you more:)


1. What do you think about Thailand? Would you go there, if you had an opportunity?
2. Do you have a dream journey, that you'd like to experience?

15 comments:

  1. I loove this topic!:) thank you for posting it. I would like to go to Thailand as well.. so far i visited India and i went there with my friends from my former school. And during one month we've been there we traveled around this exotic country. It's unforgetable experience. As you write we had just backpacks, sleeping mats and that's all:) We had a great fun.
    Iam planning to go to Thailand and Vietnam someday especially because I have a friends who live there. One of them I met this summer during my english course in NY. He's thai and he told me a lot about his place, the funniest thing is that Bankok in their language sounds like the longest word ever:) really, I recorded him while he was saying it so maybe there will be some opportunity to show you this:)
    This summer i want to go to Israel because there is a possibillity for young people with jewish roots to go there absolutely free. Isn't that fantastic?:) It is my dream journey also because i don't have to pay for this:)
    i really like this topic i like traveling, it's the most precious thing we can do, to discover new places, experience diffrent cultures..meet new people. Let's travel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i mean .as you wrote..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Guys!
    I have to admit I have been to all of these places. Especially I would recommend Thailand. I think Vietnam is the least interesting country of South-East Asia, go to Myanmar instead.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. ..and can I ask why Vietnam is the least interesting?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love traveling. If I only have an oportunity i will surely go to Thailand. It is a beautiful country. It has so many beautiful views, interested places. I would like to get know Thailand people habits and culture. My bigger dream is traveling around the world. It must be unforgettable experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thailand seems to be a wonderful place. The pictures are incredible. I would love to go there one day, provided I have at least two weeks time to enjoy the surroundings. I am not a fun of travelling and I prefer Polish seaside, but the picture above almost convinced me to go there one day. From now on, this trip will be my dream one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 2 friends of mine were there and they said it is really wonderful, but they were also telling about problem of sex-tourism. Ofcourse I would like to go there - I love traveling, but yet I was traveling around Europe. My dream journey would be going to Tahiti.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Several members of my family have visited Thailand and they said that there is a beautifully. I love to travel and usually at winter I planning where can I go on my vacation. This time I just thought about Thailand and after reading yours posts and presentations I know that this summer I will go right there!!

    Someday I would like to take a trip aroung the world;-) And it's my dream journey

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to say I'm anticipating and hoping for a journey to Thailand too. Quite a few friends have told me that it's worth every penny spent. Although it's a journey that I want to plan beforehand, I would certainly avoid travel agents if I were you.. I prefer to choose what I see and stop whenever I want rather than being pushed and hurried by a travel guide.

    Anyway, nice plan for a dream journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1) No, I don't like exotic countries
    2) To be honest I don't like travelling but if I had to choose I'd go once again to US.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never been in Thailand but I read about this country. There are a lot of places and structures which all of us should watch…. But remember this is young country in the sens of biznes. For about couple years the chinesse reachest group build there a lot of skryscrapers, a lot of business buildings,
    And they always are not cool, not nice, only normal gray buildings which make money. This is country for only mans only for pleasure you can read about „red capitol” it not nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was not in Thailand but two of my brothers were. I've seen pictures and videos is a wonderful place, as the whole Asia. My dream trip is a visit to Asia and Africa. These are still places where I was not but it certainly wants them to visit sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1. Thailand is a very nice country. I would definitely like to visit Thailand if I ever got the chance to.

    2. Warsaw -> Amsterdam -> Tanzania(kilimanjaro)-> Thailand -> Hong Kong -> Taipei-> ShangHai -> Beijing-> to be continued.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. Whole South-East Asia is beautiful and countries there have wonderful food, I'd love to go there.
    2. Trip around Japan -> Okinawa -> New Zealnd...

    ReplyDelete