Thursday 18 November 2010

Exotic Animals part II

As I mentioned in the first presentation in this part I would like to share with you what fascinates me in these small dragons;).
It’s started when my first gecko molted. At the beginning my gecko was yellow with gray stripes and after molt, the stripes changed into black spots.

This picture presents my gecko before first molt.



And this picture presents my gecko after first molt.



At the beginning I thought that my gecko is sick and has some kind of rash. Immediately I sat at the computer and searched something about these spots at the Internet. After reading a few pages about leopard gecko and their illnesses I found the answers;). Theses spots are normal for that type of lizard.
Geckos are the only lizards that come in different coats. Most of young geckos are identical and have yellow “skin” with black or gray stripes, which after few molts change to spots or completely disappear.
Chance to obtain interesting coat colors is what makes so many people interested in these lizards. Breeders from around the world compete with each other in getting newer and newer coats, with different qualities of coloration and they give them various names, sometimes strange. Thanks to many years of selection individuals for breeding they created such surprising leopard gecko breeds such as: hybino, carrottail, carrothead or midnight. The most amazing breeds are: raptor, aptor and amazing Diablo Blanco which have different skin and eye color and pattern.

This picture presents young Hybino which as adult looks like this:



Carrothead
Carrottail
Midnight
Raptor
Aptor
Diablo blanco

As you can see in the above pictures top, leopard geckos have many amazing colors. You can take a look at other interesting pictures of cool gecko in the videos released by one of the largest Polish breeders who has over a thousand different leopards.


And on the colleague’s website who have very rare and colorful geckos http://www.ultimategeckos.com/collection
Gecko’s genes are responsible for their colours. Breeders combine only those leopard which have different features and as a result they get new ones with other characteristics.
Unusual genetics of these animals allow for the mixing of genes responsible for the color and pattern coloration.

Scientists have proved that the temperature of eggs incubation is responsible for their color.
Eggs that were incubated at low temperature give gecko with darker coloration while eggs which have been in higher temperature give geckos with brighter color.

These lizards can change their color themselves and it depends on what they are doing at the moment. When the gecko is curious or visited a foreign area – it becomes brighter, and when its concerned or has a bad health condition – it becomes darker. This is because geckos have special cells in the skin which expand or shrink at the order of their nervous system.
To understand the inheritance characteristics of color and crosses geckos we would need to recall the basic concepts of genetics. But I will not describe it because it’s a topic for a long book ;) However, I encourage you to read a simple description which can be found at this site: http://gekonlamparci.com/index.php?page=genetyka
I also encourage you to review this website http://www.leopardgecko.yoyo.pl/odmiany.html where you can find most of gecko types and information how they were obtained. Lots of interesting pictures of amazing geckos can be found on this wiki page http://www.leopardgeckowiki.com/index.php?title=Category:Morphs
As a curiosity I would like to tell you that leopard geckos have different traits and it depends on which type they are. For example white & yellow are more quiet and trusting while ‘enigmas’ are nervous and timid.
At the end I would like to show you a funny behavior of these lizards.
Scared Gecko:

Yawning gecko:






The reason I became interested in these lizards is the possibility to obtain various types of color and character.

I spent lots of time on reading and writing about it. Based on my notes and results of genetic calculation I complement my geckos and at this moment I have seven different geckos. My interest in these reptiles makes my friends thinks I'm crazy;). But I feel like a child again, one who explores the world around;)

Questions:

1.)

On this picture you can see my geckos baby . Pleas propose my how can I call them;)?
2.)Please visit one of the webpage with different gecko morph, choose the prettiest one and write why do you like it?
3.)What do You think about experimentation with gecko genetics? Do you believe that they may end with something badly?
4.)What do You think about keeping large numbers of geckos by one breeder?
5.)Did you like gecko's funny behavior?
6.)Many times I heard that Diablo Blanco geckos can look scared. Pleas tell me what do You think about this morph.

9 comments:

  1. Those animals remind me of old science-fiction movies. There were monsters damaging cities. All that was shooted with all the geckos etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest it is hard to think about the names. I think people always have problems with choosing names for their pets, so it is not easy to help you. I went through the pictures of the geckos, but I need to admit that I do not like any of them. I am sorry for saying this but this is true. Taking into account the experiment, we never know how they will finish.
    Taking the breeders into account, this is a matter of taste as for me.
    I would like to say that I like the behaviour of geckos, but I simply do not like watching such pictures. Having a look at Diablo Blanco I need to say that it is really scaring. It really does not look good. I would not like to touch it, but I am sure there are lots of people who love them and I do not mean to hurt their feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everythig that I wanted to say about geckos is written in the first part of your presentation. I can only add that I'm very glad that you got me interested in it! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geckos seem cool! One of the breeds you mentioned in your presentation has my nickname as it's name ;)

    You have probably came up with names for the newly born so I won't give you any at this time. It's pretty cool that you never know what colour / breed of gecko you might expect from yours. As they all start as yellow they can end up being white and black and even the environment does not affect the outcome - is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breeders who treat their hobby seriously may know what will be their geckos. At the Internet we can find genetic calculators which are able to determine what color will have the young geckos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cambodia is much more interesting than it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a huge fan of Geckos that's why I almost fell asleep in the middle of this article. What can I say? ;) It looks kind of cool and I'm happy for you but personally I prefer Yemen Chameleons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. Gecko maybe?
    2. the pink raptor looks pretty tough.
    3. As long as the experiments are ethical I wont say a word against it.
    4. should give more space to the raptors they need space to grow I guess.

    5. Never enjoyed it, thanks.
    6. There is a reason why it's called Diablo. Looks tough but not scary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing nice information with us. i like your post and all you share with us is uptodate and quite informative, i would like to bookmark the page so i can come here again to read you, as you have done a wonderful job. exotic pets for sale

    ReplyDelete