Thursday 18 November 2010

My dream journey part 2 - Vietnam

Welcome back.

Last time I told you a little about first part of the journey that I'm planning to take next year. Now it's the time to use a plane from Thailand to Vietnam and check what's interesting there.

Maybe it's a thing that I should be ashamed of, but nonetheless I'll tell you this. For me, Vietnam was like in all those movies showing Vietnam War. I knew that this probably isn't true nowadays, but I wasn't aware of the fact that it's such a developed country now. With the end of Cold War and the collapse of the Soviet Union, Vietnam attracted many foreign investors. It's a situation little like in Poland where there was a rapid economical and social change because of sudden opening to the world. The two biggest cities have totally above 13 million residents. Vietnam is 13th most populated country and probably moving up. What's astounding is that 65% of population is below the age of 30. Those young people move to big cities leaving their plains to elders

What's interesting, is that Vietnam is one big governmental paradox in which communist government mixes with capitalist economy. There's only one party and organisations that aren't connected with it, aren't permitted to take part in elections. Press and TV is controlled by government by licenses. That's more or less like in China, where communism seems like just the long-lasting word that means just one party with all the power thanks to huge amounts of money pumped by big companies. Moreover, US Department of State has desribed Vietnam as a place of seroious abuses of human rights. This doesn't seem to change rapidly and it's really hard to tell what's there ahead of them.




But that's not everything that Vietnam is. Geography is what makes it such a great place. Especially the coastline seems like it was designed for tourism. It's 3400 long with sweeping beaches, towering cliffs, marvelous dunes and countless uninhabited islands along its length. Most part of the country is covered with hills or mountains. What's especially interesting for me, is the karst formation which generally creates underground rivers, caves and all other things that may be formed by erosion. What's sad is that environmental awareness in Vietnam is very low and more and more wildlife is declining. Deforestration is probably the biggest problem connected with nature. It is estimated that there's less than half of forests that were there 50 years ago.




Maybe it's not a thing that many people think about when going somewhere, but I'm much into national cuisines everytime I go somewhere. Vietnam is not an exception. What seems great is the culture of eating that may be described in one of the proverbs which is 'learn to eat before learning to speak.' There are plenty of things in Vietnamese dish, but as the land gives rice and the sea brings fish, they both form the bedrock of local menu. Rice is a basis of wine, noodles, wrappers and probably everything you can imagine. It's not surprising that Vietnam competes with Thailand for being the biggest rice producer in the world. It's also not so hard to imagine that such a long coastline brings a great variety of fish and similar things.

For me, Vietnam seems interesting because of all those things described above. This paradox of capitalised communism combined with astonishing geographical and cultural environment makes me interested in visiting Vietnam.

Thanks for your patience ;)

1. Did you know that Vietnam is such a communist country nowadays?
2. Do you know of any interesting places there?
3. Do you wish to see a country that offers above-mentioned things?

10 comments:

  1. I wanna go to Vietnam, but it's a long term plan. It's very interesting country and part of the world.
    The picture from your post is very beautiful. Very nice pictures you can see watching an episode of Top Gear, where Clarkson, May and Hammond traveled by bikes and scooters. To get a little bit of culture and feel the atmosphere of the place you can watch the Charley's Boorman TV series cold “By Any Means”. He travel in any transport You can imagine and meet local people. Off course the best way is to travel themselves :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Northern part is very interesting and beautiful, especially Halong Bay.
    http://ripcitytoseoul.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/halongbay1.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. ..i remember the letter of my friend who live there as I mentioned earlier. She wrote me when she was at high school in HaNoi that evey student has to wear red ribbon at classes so maybe this is interesting thing to know..
    and about cuisine I agree..this is very important part of traveling:) i think vietnamese spring rolls are the best but only made by Vietnamese people and necessarily made from good products.. I guess it tastes the best in Vietnam:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard that Vietnam used to be a communist country in the past, but I was sure that it has changed. Anyhow, no matter what is the system there, the pictures look really great. They are catchy. Your first presentation made me start thinking about Thailand, right now I am thiking about Vietnam as well. The views are really bautiful. They are like marketing tools.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Did you know that Vietnam is such a communist country nowadays?
    Yes I know that. I heard about it on TV there was program about Vietnam on Discovery.

    2. Do you know of any interesting places there?

    Unfortunately no;/

    3. Do you wish to see a country that offers above-mentioned things?
    Probably YES!! Why not?? This could be an interesting experience. I like to explore new cultures and new places. I'm convinced that trip to Vietnam will be one of the most beautiful trips of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1) Yes, I knew about it, I heard that on TV

    2) To tell you the truth I haven't been interested in Vietnam more than watching another special episode about the Top Gear nutters, who went to Vietnam and covered kilometers on scooters - which are very popular there. On their way they sightseeing interesting places in Vietnam. Probably, if I went there I would like to cover the same way. More info can be found on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear:_Vietnam_Special or on You Tube.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1) Who didn't :)
    2) No
    3) As I've said in previous post exotic countries aren't my favourites

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find exotic places very intriguing. Like I said in the previous post, I too want to visit Vietnam and Thailand one day. It's a trip that requires some planning beforehand as well as lots of time off work, which for many of us, IT engineers, may be difficult to plan because of long term projects and deadlines.

    According to my friends, Vietnamese women are beautiful. We'll see about that :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful country! People are smiling, but thy know how to make a trade. Know the tricks to earn as much as possible on the commodity, but as you know their tactics, it can be a bargain . Delicious food and cheap. The capital is dirty, crowded but rural part is beautiful, there you can feel like in paradise, golden sands, palm trees, but already much more expensive than the north. And also more commercially.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Vietnam is no longer a communist state yet neither does it have a democratic government.
    2. Ya that there is one city named after a communist activist, Ho Chi Minh city.
    3. Maybe after I have become so rich that i can fly with my personal jet :P

    ReplyDelete