Friday 12 November 2010

Part One: Global Warming

The author of this presentation is Hubert Kowalczyk, but he has a problem with the google account.


The aim of my presentation is to describe the causes of global warming and the impact it has in the world. According to the contemporary research there is hypothesizes formed that greenhouse effect is probably the main cause of global warming. Throughout the world many unusual climate changes took place in the most unexpected way. Ocean current started to change due to melting of iceberg in north pole. Countries like Japan and many others in the tropical area are facing serious issue of rising in sea level. I became in concern with the catastrophe that the world is facing and I have decided to carry out an in-depth study to give some insights about global warming. Hopefully, I will be able to come up with some practical solutions in order to control the Co2, greenhouse gas emission. The areas which I am going to cover are as follows:

In part one I am going to give a precise definition on global warming in order to help you to understand the issue better.

The global warming has been defined as:

“..is the observed and projected increases in the average temperature of Earth's atmosphere and oceans”

The above graph presents the climate change that occurred from 1860 till the end of 20th century. We can see that the earth average temperature rose about 0.6°C (1.1° Fahrenheit) in the past century.

This temperature rise occurs when greenhouse gases trap heat from the sun in the earth’s atmosphere. Greenhouse gases include: carbon dioxide, water vapor, nitrous oxide and methane.

Dodaj obraz

Above basically shows how does greenhouse effect works. Visible energy from the sun passes through the atmosphere, some of it is reflected, some heats the earth. Greenhouse gasses like CO2 that occur in the atmosphere trap the infra-red heat energy, keeping the earth warm.

Greenhouse effect explains how does increased earth’s temperature occur. In the following part of this presentation, I would like to mention what causes greenhouse effect and what are the consequences of global warming on humans and the earth’s ecosystem.




At the end I would like you to see this film in which Al Gore shows how dangerous is co2 for global warming.





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxi-OlkmxZ4


Questions :

1. Have you noticed climate change in Poland during the recent years?

2. Do you think the government has done enough to inform the public about global warming?


10 comments:

  1. 1) Yes, it's colder :)

    2) I wonder how can you still believe in anthropogenic global warming theory after all these leaked e-mails, wrong predictions (missed by 200 years).

    Our government does not actively participate in this because it knows it's fraud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say I agree with Michał and I'm quite disturbed how many people believe the the global warming is a fact...

    1 & 2) I have not noticed anything unusual, there's nothing to report on.

    To begin with, there is a considerable debate on the role that humans play in changing global climate through both the burning of fossil fuels and the release of co2 gases. Some argue that human interaction poses less of a threat to our atmosphere than do natural processes, like volcanic eruptions. Should we possibly try to bury the volcanoes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i dont think it's colder..:)
    I think climate in Poland change a little.. now in winter we have max minus eight to ten and twenty years ago (I know this because of my parents stories:) it was colder minus fourteen, fifteen. And what i noticed is that the weather change very quickly.
    Government do nothing to inform people about global warming i don't know much about this process. But I think it's important to talk about this. If there something we can do to stop this or at least not to be cause of developing it we should be part of some international "global warming" discussion:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know where to start. Maybe from few facts:
    - people produce 3% of co2
    - one cow produce more co2 then big uneconomical Range Rover
    - there is no Global Warming :)

    Do you know that Al Gore set up a foundation named The Alliance for Climate Protection - http://www.climateprotect.org/ , which simply take many from people who believe in GW? People pay for what CO2 they used – it's like in Middle Ages. You pay for atonement and you don't have to feel guilty for “poisoning ours planet”.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok. You write about global warming all the time, but what about other – even more serious menaces to human existence – like for example epidemics, nuclear wars or terrorism? To my mind, they are far more serious than global warming or globalization in general , which to some extent can be stopped or at least reduced to minimum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't add more to what you've said. "Cool it" sounds like a great movie because there's too much of business in global warming now. Toyota Prius, green business etc. is nothing more than business trying to show that they're doing something good for the planet. But nothing more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with our colleague s8939, the climate in Poland has changed. In the past we used to have really cold winters. Right now, as it was said the temperature is not so harming for us. We do not have to wear really hot sheepskin coats and we do not need to stay at home for few days because of the temperature outside.
    Having a look at our government and the information flow, I need to admit that I am not following what they are saying about the global warning. And I am not sure whether it results from the fact that this information is not really passed to people at all, or just because I do not pay so much attention to this topic and I do not always pay attention to what is said about the global warming. Of course, I am of the opinion that the media shall focus more on this issue as we do not even realize how it can harm us in the future. I think that over 90% of people is not doing anything to fight with this phenomenon as they are not aware how important it is for our lives. Maybe if the government was somehow forcing people to try to stop the developing global warming, they would at least try to follow the instructions of the government.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that is good that I`m late with my comment. I don`t think climate changed so much, during few years. It is also to little time to judge - we are only about 22 years old and we can remember about 15 past years? I have to say I hate when media are talking about global warming, ecology etc. Someone earns a lot of money on it, and it`s not me :(

    s5124

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes:) It's generally colder;> althoug in this year a few times I dying from the heat! I agree with Robert, wa're still young and we don't have much to compare.
    Ok... Now I ask you a question.
    Do you think that our government doing anything good?? By the way... we heard only about the scandals;( and it's very bad!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Global warming is not! Temperature increases from year to years because we pass the evolution and so the repair people to a small extent influence the greenhouse effect. What we did not do this trick of nature is not only what we can do is try to reduce the risk. The government can not do this to make everyone is aware of this.

    ReplyDelete